Red Truth

Join in with competitions to make the best trials... with a twist!

Moderator: EN - Forum Moderators

TimeAxis
Spoken languages: English

Re: Red Truth

Post by TimeAxis »

Spoiler : Response to Spongesonic's review :
I'm also glad you also enjoyed the characters and the game mechanics. And to be fair, I said I was just gonna make a nice little mystery, and that's what it is. At some point I'll be curious to hear your speculation on what you think the trick is, though, because currently (unless you peeked in the editor), I don't think there's nearly enough information to point to what really happened, and any ideas you have right now are very likely to get shut down by future information. But we shall see.
Question Arcs (Threads Coming Eventually)
ImageImageImageImage
Gaiden Episodes
Champion of Turnabouts ★
HALLOWEEN HERO
Other
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attornauts
The Curious Case of the Phantom Limousine (Coming Eventually)
The Imposter's Turnabout (Coming Maybe)
Trybien

Post by Trybien »

The Illogical Turnabout by ikuzunos and Bannedfrom7
Spoiler : Screenshot :
I would take aliens over all the sanity being lost playing these entries. You know what you did. I hope you have a good Rot-13 decoder, because all of you have effectively broke me this time around.
Spoiler : Synopsis :
N tevrivat jvqbjre? N inavfuvat tha? Fyrrc qrcevingvba? Lhc, vgf whfg nabgure qnl fbyivat vzcbffvoyr pevzrf.
Spoiler : Review :

Story: Fcneebj naq OnaarqSebz7 cebonoyl qrfreir fbzrguvat orggre guna n ebg-13 rapbqrq erivrj. Gur snpg bs gur znggre vf gung gurl unir perngrq n pnfr gung zvtug npghnyyl or vzcbffvoyr gb cnefr gbtrgure va n frafvpny erivrj jvgubhg fcbvyref. Jvgu gjb ebhgrf, bar bs juvpu zbfg crbcyr jvyy yvxryl hfr n jnyxguebhtu sbe, V qba'g guvax guvf nccebnpu vf ragveryl hajneenagrq. Gurer jrer n ybg bs ryrzragf va guvf pnfr V yvxrq, gur "onq" raq va cnegvphyne vf n glcr bs fgbel gung V eneryl trg gb frr ohg qb dhvgr rawbl jura unaqyrq jryy... juvpu V guvax vg qvq! Gung orvat fnvq, gur bgure ebhgr juvyr V ivor n ovg jvgu jung gurl ner tbvat sbe srryf n ovg haqrepbbxrq sbe zl yvxvat naq ragref greevgbel bs haqrephggvat gur erfg bs gur fgbel va snibhe bs vgf gjvfg. V jnag gb znxr pyrne gubhtu gung V qb yvxr gur pbaprcg naq nccebnpu gurl jrag sbe, vg jnf znvayl gur rkrphgvba bs vg gung V sryg jnf n ovg ehfurq va ynpxvat. Qrfcvgr gung, V qb nccynhq gurz sbe gnxvat n evfxl nccebnpu yvxr gurl qvq tvira gur fhowrpg znggre gurl synibherq gur erfg bs gur pnfr nebhaq jvgu.

Characters: Gur pnfg birenyy vf jevggra jryy rabhtu. Gur znva punenpgre naq ure cnegare jrer yvxrnoyr naq svg gur gbar bs gur pnfr dhvgr jryy. Gur znva jvgarff nf jryy sryg oryvrinoyr naq V trahvaryl sryg onq sbe uvz. Nyy guerr punenpgref unq zbzragf gung znqr gurz fuvar va gurve bja evtug, juvpu znqr gurz nyy srry jryy syrfurq bhg qrfcvgr gur fubeg gvzr jr unq jvgu gurz. Gung orvat fnvq, V sbhaq gur phycevg naq gur tvzzvpx nebhaq gurz ynpxvat. Nf zragvbarq va gur fgbel frtzrag, gur pbasebagngvba jvgu gurz sryg haqreqrirybcrq qrfcvgr gur aneengvir evfxf gurl gbbx tbvat jvgu gurz.

Presentation: V unir ab pbzcynvagf nobhg gur cerfragngvba. Gur fcevgrf naq onpxtebhaqf nyy nppbzcyvfu jung gurl frg bhg gb qb. Gur zhfvp pubvprf nyy jbex irel jryy. Ntnva V qba'g jnag gb srry yvxr V nz unecvat ba gur raqvat, ohg V fbeg bs jvfu n ovg zber jnf qbar ba n cerfragngvba sebag fvapr vg raqf hc srryvat yvxr n qelre irefvba bs n gjvfg V'ir frra qbar n srj gvzrf abj ba NNB.

Gameplay: Ba gur fhesnpr yriry, Vyybtvpny vf n fvzcyr vairfgvtngvba jvgu fbzr pubvprf fcernq guebhtubhg. Gurer vf nyfb n avpr frpgvba arne gur raq bs gur vairfgvtngvba jurer lbh cvrpr guvatf gbtrgure jvgu lbhe cnegare gung yrgf lbh cerfrag bar bs gjb gurbevrf. Gur gjvfg urer vf gung sbe bar bs gur gurbevrf gb or nqrdhrgyl nethrq sbe gur nygreangr ebhgr, lbh arrq gb gevttre fbzr fcrpvsvp erdhverzragf qhevat gur vairfgvtngvba. Fbzr crbcyr zvtug tebna ng gur vqrn bs arrqvat n jnyxtguebhtu, ohg V'z n fhpxre sbe guvf fbeg bs puvpnabel. Gur ybtvp oruvaq gur oenapuvat zvtug abg znxr frafr sebz na bhgfvqref crefcrpgvir, ohg gur pubvprf qb srry zrnavatshy sbe gur vafpvgvat rirag sbe gur oenapu. Gur erohggnyf sbyybjvat gur vairfgvtngvba nyfb srry fzneg jvgubhg orvat bireyl pbaibyhgrq, univat lbh nccebnpu gur zlfgrel va n jnl jvgu pyrneyl qrsvarq ehyrf. Gur pevzrfprar va trareny jnf nyfb whfg sha gb vairfgvtngr jvgu ubj vg onynaprq vgf hafrggyvat gbar jvgu phgr yvggyr bcgvbany cerfragf. Sbe n fvzcyr vairfgvtngvba, vg znantrf gb or sha naq jryy qrsvarq rabhtu jurer zhygvcyr cynlguebhtuf gb trg gur nygreangr raqvatf vf nalguvat ohg n qent.

Theme Relevance: Va n ybg bs jnlf, Vyybtvpny vf n pnfr nobhg vzcbffvoyr pevzrf. Gur trareny jbeyqohvyqvat rfgnoyvfurf whfgvsvpngvbaf sbe jul pnfrf ner yrsg hafbyirq be rira vapbeerpgyl fbyirq, naq gur pbaprvg bs gur pevzr vf n fvzcyr ohg rssrpgvir rknzcyr bs "vzcbffvoyr pevzr". Sbe jung vgf jbegu, obgu raqvatf tvir hafngvfslvat pbapyhfvbaf gb gur fbyhgvba; ubjrire, V srry yvxr vg znxrf vg pyrne gung vf gur cbvag. Gurer vf cebonoyl n ovg gurer gb hacnpx jvgu gur vzcyvpngvbaf bs bar bs gur raqvatf, ohg gur "vg jnf abg k, vg jnf l" vf irel pyrneyl qrsvarq va obgu naq sbe gung V qba'g guvax V pna snhyg vg ba eryrinapr.
Spoiler : Overall :
PROS
- I liked the vibes
- Good investigation gameplay
- Questionable but acceptable approach to the theme
CONS
- Resolutions are a bit narratively unsatisfying (both when intended and not)
- Would have liked to see more done with the presentation in certain parts
On another note, put addendums onto GD and AJs reviews related to the theme discussions. Won't promise they are satisfying, but they reflect my current feelings on the moment.

Edit: I heavily discourage anyone but Ikuzunos and Banned from reading the review until after playing.
Last edited by Trybien on Tue Apr 11, 2023 2:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Winner of the “Broken Commandments” Case Competition
AshuraMage
Spoken languages: English/Portuguese

Post by AshuraMage »

Trybien's review
A grieving widower? A vanishing gun? Sleep deprivation? Yup, its just another day solving impossible crimes.
Story: Sparrow and BannedFrom7 probably deserve something better than a rot-13 encoded review. The fact of the matter is that they have created a case that might actually be impossible to parse together in a sensical review without spoilers. With two routes, one of which most people will likely use a walkthrough for, I don't think this approach is entirely unwarranted. There were a lot of elements in this case I liked, the "bad" end in particular is a type of story that I rarely get to see but do quite enjoy when handled well... which I think it did! That being said, the other route while I vibe a bit with what they are going for feels a bit undercooked for my liking and enters territory of undercutting the rest of the story in favour of its twist. I want to make clear though that I do like the concept and approach they went for, it was mainly the execution of it that I felt was a bit rushed in lacking. Despite that, I do applaud them for taking a risky approach like they did given the subject matter they flavoured the rest of the case around with.

Characters: The cast overall is written well enough. The main character and her partner were likeable and fit the tone of the case quite well. The main witness as well felt believable and I genuinely felt bad for him. All three characters had moments that made them shine in their own right, which made them all feel well fleshed out despite the short time we had with them. That being said, I found the culprit and the gimmick around them lacking. As mentioned in the story segment, the confrontation with them felt underdeveloped despite the narrative risks they took going with them.

Presentation: I have no complaints about the presentation. The sprites and backgrounds all accomplish what they set out to do. The music choices all work very well. Again I don't want to feel like I am harping on the ending, but I sort of wish a bit more was done on a presentation front since it ends up feeling like a dryer version of a twist I've seen done a few times now on AAO.

Gameplay: On the surface level, Illogical is a simple investigation with some choices spread throughout. There is also a nice section near the end of the investigation where you piece things together with your partner that lets you present one of two theories. The twist here is that for one of the theories to be adequetly argued for the alternate route, you need to trigger some specific requirements during the investigation. Some people might groan at the idea of needing a walkgthrough, but I'm a sucker for this sort of chicanory. The logic behind the branching might not make sense from an outsiders perspective, but the choices do feel meaningful for the insciting event for the branch. The rebuttals following the investigation also feel smart without being overly convoluted, having you approach the mystery in a way with clearly defined rules. The crimescene in general was also just fun to investigate with how it balanced its unsettling tone with cute little optional presents. For a simple investigation, it manages to be fun and well defined enough where multiple playthroughs to get the alternate endings is anything but a drag.

Theme Relevance: In a lot of ways, Illogical is a case about impossible crimes. The general worldbuilding establishes justifications for why cases are left unsolved or even incorrectly solved, and the conceit of the crime is a simple but effective example of "impossible crime". For what its worth, both endings give unsatisfying conclusions to the solution; however, I feel like it makes it clear that is the point. There is probably a bit there to unpack with the implications of one of the endings, but the "it was not x, it was y" is very clearly defined in both and for that I don't think I can fault it on relevance.
In 2021 I was bored and made an AMV that now has 100K+ views
Trybien

Post by Trybien »

AshuraMage wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 2:23 am Trybien's review
A grieving widower? A vanishing gun? Sleep deprivation? Yup, its just another day solving impossible crimes.
Story: Sparrow and BannedFrom7 probably deserve something better than a rot-13 encoded review. The fact of the matter is that they have created a case that might actually be impossible to parse together in a sensical review without spoilers. With two routes, one of which most people will likely use a walkthrough for, I don't think this approach is entirely unwarranted. There were a lot of elements in this case I liked, the "bad" end in particular is a type of story that I rarely get to see but do quite enjoy when handled well... which I think it did! That being said, the other route while I vibe a bit with what they are going for feels a bit undercooked for my liking and enters territory of undercutting the rest of the story in favour of its twist. I want to make clear though that I do like the concept and approach they went for, it was mainly the execution of it that I felt was a bit rushed in lacking. Despite that, I do applaud them for taking a risky approach like they did given the subject matter they flavoured the rest of the case around with.

Characters: The cast overall is written well enough. The main character and her partner were likeable and fit the tone of the case quite well. The main witness as well felt believable and I genuinely felt bad for him. All three characters had moments that made them shine in their own right, which made them all feel well fleshed out despite the short time we had with them. That being said, I found the culprit and the gimmick around them lacking. As mentioned in the story segment, the confrontation with them felt underdeveloped despite the narrative risks they took going with them.

Presentation: I have no complaints about the presentation. The sprites and backgrounds all accomplish what they set out to do. The music choices all work very well. Again I don't want to feel like I am harping on the ending, but I sort of wish a bit more was done on a presentation front since it ends up feeling like a dryer version of a twist I've seen done a few times now on AAO.

Gameplay: On the surface level, Illogical is a simple investigation with some choices spread throughout. There is also a nice section near the end of the investigation where you piece things together with your partner that lets you present one of two theories. The twist here is that for one of the theories to be adequetly argued for the alternate route, you need to trigger some specific requirements during the investigation. Some people might groan at the idea of needing a walkgthrough, but I'm a sucker for this sort of chicanory. The logic behind the branching might not make sense from an outsiders perspective, but the choices do feel meaningful for the insciting event for the branch. The rebuttals following the investigation also feel smart without being overly convoluted, having you approach the mystery in a way with clearly defined rules. The crimescene in general was also just fun to investigate with how it balanced its unsettling tone with cute little optional presents. For a simple investigation, it manages to be fun and well defined enough where multiple playthroughs to get the alternate endings is anything but a drag.

Theme Relevance: In a lot of ways, Illogical is a case about impossible crimes. The general worldbuilding establishes justifications for why cases are left unsolved or even incorrectly solved, and the conceit of the crime is a simple but effective example of "impossible crime". For what its worth, both endings give unsatisfying conclusions to the solution; however, I feel like it makes it clear that is the point. There is probably a bit there to unpack with the implications of one of the endings, but the "it was not x, it was y" is very clearly defined in both and for that I don't think I can fault it on relevance.
Um this isn't an ARG. Thanks anyways I guess, was wondering what I wrote. :random:

(In all seriousness, I discourage people from reading the review until after playing)
AshuraMage

Post by AshuraMage »

Trybien wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 2:29 am

Um this isn't an ARG. Thanks anyways I guess, was wondering what I wrote. :random:
Stop lying to yourself, we both know this is an ARG :atmey:
Trybien

Post by Trybien »

AshuraMage wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 2:31 am

(Refer to post edit post)
I don't even know what ARGS are :chew:
AshuraMage

Post by AshuraMage »

Trybien wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 2:32 am
AshuraMage wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 2:31 am

(Refer to post edit post)
I don't even know what ARGS are :chew:
(Oh, alright, I can delete the post if you want)
ARG = Ace Rockstar Gamer
Klavier is an ARG.
Spongesonic

Post by Spongesonic »

Review: The Illogical Turnabout
Entrants: ikuzonos & Bannedfrom7

Attention!!! Talking about my feelings for this case requires me to go into spoiler territory. I won't mention anything specific, but if you wish to remain blind, it's best not to read the review. You have been warned.
Malleus Maleficarum: The Wizard of San Francisco
A pair of detectives are hired to look into the mysterious circumstances of a woman who committed suicide. The main issue? There's no way she could've used the murder weapon.
Spoiler : Review (MAJOR SPOILERS) :
Story: So, this story actually has two endings. The bad ending, the one the game pushes you to getting first, seems like it could be the logical conclusion to the story, though it feels unsatisfying due to some questions being unresolved. The true ending doesn't leave any unresolved questions, but feels rather... out of nowhere. While there are some hints towards it, I feel like there could've been a few more. Admittedly, though, that may spoil the surprise of it, and I'm personally not sure where to add them. No matter which ending you get, however, this entry comes off as a bit... depressing? Even in the true ending, where things are a little happier, things still feel like they end on a somber note. Overall, the story, for as short as it may be, is pretty well told, I just personally found it to be rather sad.

Characters: The characters here are all fairly down-to-earth and realistic. Even the one who cracks jokes more than the rest still tends to take the situation very seriously. They match the more depressing tone of the story fairly well, and though the time with them was brief, I still ended up caring what happens to them by the end. Though, if I had one small nitpick, they seem to take the revelations in the true ending... oddly well, which is a bit jarring.

Presentation: The presentation is decent enough. I didn't really notice any typos while playing (maybe there were some that I missed, who knows), and sprites chosen match the characters' personalities pretty well. There is one moment that requires the player to pixel-hunt a bit due to something not shown on the background, but it's not too bad, and I think most players would think to look there anyways. The only glitch I came across happened on a second playthrough, where the main character told me to consult with her partner about the evidence found... even though I hadn't found all the evidence yet. But that seems easily fixable.

Gameplay: This entry is a short investigation, followed by trying to put the pieces together using the evidence. In the true ending, there's even a cross-examination sequence. While it's not super difficult, I did like how I could tackle the investigation in any order I wanted (and not in a way that felt out-of-order, unlike a certain other entry). Overall, the case logic is pretty easy, though does require a bit more outside-the-box thinking for the true ending. My only complaint is that actually getting to the true ending requires the player to do arbitrary tasks they probably wouldn't know to do without a walkthrough. I understand that I, Mr. Turnabout Turnabout, have no right complaining about that, but... at least mine was done for comedy's sake?

Theme Relevance: Yep, I'd say the true solution checks all the boxes for being both an impossible mystery and "Y happened instead". My only real complaint is that the true ending, as previously discussed, kinda comes out of nowhere, and so too does the true solution. Just a little bit more foreshadowing would've helped, in my opinion.
Spoiler : Overall (MAJOR SPOILERS) :
This was a nice little entry, even if I did have my problems with the lack of foreshadowing for the true ending. Play once on your own, and then if you're having trouble finding the true ending after that, use the walkthrough. It did depress the hell out of me, though.
Also, like Try, I have added addendums to my reviews of GD's and Aj's entries.
Winner of the "Broken Commandments" Case Competition
-------
♂ + ♂ = ♥
♀ + ♀ = ♥
♀ + ♂ = ♥
Love should be genderless.
If you agree, please add this to your signature.

Misc. Information
Steam: spongesonic
Youtube: SpongesonicPictures
eerew

Post by eerew »

The Illogical Turnabout
by ikuzonos and Bannedfrom7
BLEEEEEEHHHHHHHHHH!!!! I’M NOT PUTTING SPOILER WARNINGS FOR THIS REVIEW YOU CAN’T MAKE MEEEE :D (if you read comp reviews early you’re already willing to be somewhat spoiled on an entry(this is basically a spoiler warning though so i kind of did put a spoiler warning in(this case is finished just wait like 15 days max for it to be released if you want to play it blind(if you want to play it blind why did you click this review(okay fine i'll put in a spoiler free review))))
Spoiler : Spoiler Free Review :
It's a finished theme relevant entry that you will probably get enjoyment out of. It has characters and a narrative. Use the walkthrough after beating the game for the first time.
Private detective Ann Passent investigates the impossible suicide of a man’s wife, but all her awesome ideas about the solution get mansplained over by her partner.
Story: We’re just gonna jump right into spoilers teehee! This case… HAS TWO ENDINGS! Up until the first ending, the story and narrative is good. I hope over the course of my reviews it's become clear that I'm not a story guy, so I can't really go into detail about what makes a story good. I just think the story here is good, okay? The first ending is very clearly shown to not be the true ending. And while I like some ideas that the second ending presents, I don’t believe it has enough payoff to be worth the effort I spent to get there. I think the easiest way to review the story of this game, for me, is to say that I don’t believe that a game should make you go through an intentionally faulty experience (for an extended amount of time) just to actually be secretly quality. Based on their reviews of a past comp entry, I know Try and Sponge probably completely disagree.

Characters: The core dynamic in this case is badass. I still have that sentence in my review template from TimeAxis’s review but I didn’t need to take it out. As his name might suggest, your partner Chad is a really good cocounsel, but after his heartbreaking arrival on Mean to Me Island, I can only call him realistically written. I just stood up after writing that sentence and got so lightheaded I had to fall down on my bed, and I blame Chad for it. The rest of the cast is realistically written, but I could take them or leave them. Ann is fine. The victim’s widower keeps on talking about his dead wife though. Like, bro, she died 10 days ago, no need to make it your whole personality.

Presentation: Presentation is fine. They spell rifles like riffles at one point. I can’t think of any other presentation issues.

Gameplay: There’s simple investigative gameplay and a few cross examinations at one point. You can examine the 3 relevant rooms in the victim’s house in any order, but I found the ideal order first try like a Chad(not an Illogical Turnabout reference), so I never tried the other orders. As mentioned, there's a choice system. There's some innocuous choices beforehand, but during the investigation you have the option of making several alternative theories about the crime. After making theories about the crime, you have the option of presenting evidence to back up your theory. I say option because if you get the answer wrong your partner will just say it. I didn't realize this for a while because I was savescumming, so I'm going to judge these presents as if they were mandatory. I was going to anyways, but now it's like I have an actual reason to.

Some of the presents in this game are Kevin Bacon presents, where the relevant information needed in a present isn't in the court record description, but rather relies on a memory contradiction tangentially related to the piece of evidence. (As a fictional example, presenting a prosecutor's profile to cast doubt on someone claiming their phone didn't have reception at the time of a crime, because the prosecutor recently made a phone call to an investigator at the crime scene. However, none of this information is in the court record and it is up to the player to remember that the prosecutor's phone call happened and then make the connection that they should present the prosecutor over it.) There's only like 2 of these, but it's very important I write this paragraph so I can get my new term established.

In the pm for the entry it was said that it’s recommended to not use the walkthrough for the first route. What wasn’t made clear is that you’re basically required to use the walkthrough to get the second ending. I think the game would really benefit from making the true ending's criteria really stupidly obvious for oblivious players like me, maybe after you get the first ending more than once.(honestly this could've been in the game but I just loaded after getting the first ending because it repeats the credit sequence lol). The choices you have to make to get the other ending are not choices you would ever consider making in pursuit of the True Ending. And with no other side endings, it’s very frustrating repeating the game and getting the same ending, unsure of what you’re doing wrong. You get all the evidence and testimony you want, and make the most accurate theories, but the game still won’t let you figure out who the true killer is or how to get Chad to stop bullying you because you don’t want to accuse the wrong person. I said good morning to you Chad, get off my ass.

Theme Relevance: A woman shoots herself in the head, but when her husband returns home, the gun is still locked in its case in the other room. The gun has her fingerprints on it, undisturbed. Now that's impossible AND mysterious. Both solutions follow the theme guidelines, even if the first one is kind of jank.
This is easily the case I’m most ambivalent on, I could probably talk about it for 10 pages, but um spoilers. With some tweaks, this would probably be one of my favorite AAO cases of all time, genuinely. I liked the concept and ideas presented in the second ending, but I think the process of getting there could’ve been executed much better. Though this review mostly was negative, it's because I'm trying to cope over the fact that I spent 5 times as long playing this entry than I had to.
Spongesonic

Post by Spongesonic »

Review: That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Fictional Defence Lawyer in an Ace Attorney Fangame and Had to Defend Myself Against Incredibly Unfair Odds
Entrants: Samallama and DeathByAutoscroll
Like me. You can't see me, but I exist. Right?
...Right?
RIGHT?!
Samallama goes on trial for not submitting an entry to the Red Truth comp, because it's impossible to make an entry in time.
Story: So, yeah, this trial is basically a s***post for anyone who couldn't tell. It doesn't take itself seriously at all - one of the witnesses goes off ranting about a completely different crime, and the court accepts it as valid testimony. It's that kind of case. Maybe I'm just immature, but I really did enjoy the humor in this entry. It's a style of humor that won't be up everyone's alley, but it was definitely up mine. What can I say? This one just made me laugh.

Characters: The characters serve their purpose well in terms of telling jokes. Samallama plays the straight man well enough, commenting on the absurdity of everything going on around them, the prosecutor and witnesses have fun lines, and the judge is as much of an idiot as ever. There's not really much to say other than "they tell funny jokes", which is all I really wanted from them.

Presentation: The presentation is decent on the whole, with OCs all being sprites from Samallama's (minus one), and the timing of sound effects and other editor trickery helps the comedy. Though, not everything is perfect. I did notice some odd spacing on some lines, and the opening inner monologue didn't have parentheses for some reason. There's not much else to say other than that it gets the job done.

Gameplay: The only things in terms of gameplay are two cross-examination segments. It won't take very long to reach the end of the case, but for what it's worth, I thought the puzzles here were actually kinda decent, even if there's not many of them. Impressive for a case that's essentially just one big joke.

Theme Relevance: As discussed, one of the witnesses goes off rambling about a completely unrelated case that is absurdly impossible for the sake of a joke. Even if it is technically just a joke, it does meet all the criteria, so... touche.
This is a short but silly little s***post that gave me a good laugh. It's not breaking any ground here, but sometimes we just need to have a chuckle.
-------
♂ + ♂ = ♥
♀ + ♀ = ♥
♀ + ♂ = ♥

Misc. Information
Trybien

Post by Trybien »

That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Fictional Defence Lawyer in an Ace Attorney Fangame and Had to Defend Myself Against Incredibly Unfair Odds by Samallama and DeathByAutoscroll
OMG THIS IS LITERALLY ME BASED BASED BASED… *ahem* You will be hearing from my lawyer.
Samallama can’t decide if they are going to hype their fangame, make meta references to the case competition and AACD, or commit libel against one of the judges. Also DBA is there being a little stinker. Meanwhile they get shamed for not submitting their entry yet.

Story: Its a goofy sh!tpost with a bunch of references. There are some heartwarming moments and I genuinely laughed (and maulded), so I guess it set out what it wanted to do.

Characters: Being a self insert trash fic, I was impressed that the character writing wasn’t too cringy. Sama as the main character was in character, and DBA who also shows up is also in character. However, there is this guy who thinks he is “Trybien”, and while he got some of his mannerisms down, it was clearly an imposter. First off, Trybien would never be caught with pink hair. If he wanted to be accurate, he could have worn the purple Gakupo wig Trybien got for a highschool Halloween costume (that didn’t actually end up happening for reasons). Also, the real Trybien hates gum since it makes his jaw hurt and his stomach sick, yet this guy keeps chewing it with little care in the world. Worst of all, he actually likes, Rise from the Ashes… It’s like he isn’t even trying! Oh also, Sama showed off the OC Beatrice from the fangame they are working on, pretty cool attorney ngl.

Presentation: Considering Sama is new to AAO, I was thoroughly impressed with the presentation. Its nothing groundbreaking, but Sama’s original art and the stylisms used in the editor does not appear to be the work of a beginner. Makes me want to see Sama do more in AAO despite being a PyWright casemaker.

Gameplay: There are two testimonies, and the solutions were simple enough. It's a comedy case first, so I guess I can’t complain.

Theme Relevance: Its first and foremost a case about the case comp. There isn’t really a mystery, just references and memes that joke around with the theme. At one point an impossible crime is brought up for laughs, and since its a comedy case I guess that counts.
PROS
-Gonna make some fat stacks from the impeding libel suit against these bozos
CONS
-They stole my case title name, I should sue them for IP infringement as well
eerew

Post by eerew »

That time I got reincarnated as a fictional Defence Lawyer in An Ace Attorney fangame and had to defend myself against incredibly unfair
by Samallama and DeathByAutoscroll
I don’t know what’s after the first cross examination, I keep getting a guilty verdict just for the reward.
Samallama proves they’re too busy to work on an entry for Red Truth Comp by making an entry for Red Truth Comp.
Story: This game is poison to me. I can’t feel my legs right now. It's meta and has reference humor. It’s *gag* zany. This means Trybien and Spongesonic loved it.
There’s a worrying sentiment expressed throughout the entry that this case was made out of obligation to be a part of a case comp, and I don’t like that. It makes me angry. You’re making me very angry today. It makes me want to hit you with the broom handle I use to beat wasps to death.

Characters: Most of the cast are ace attorney fans, and they act like ace attorney fans, a famously fun group of people to be around. Trybien is in the case, but doesn’t ever have any typos in their dialogue, so their representation is entirely inaccurate.
Spoiler : In conclusion: :
Presentation: Most of the presentation is default court assets. Samallama decides to leak some sprites from their fangame in this case, and they all look nice. There’s other original sprites but they’re spoilers so I can’t talk about them.

In case you didn’t notice, the title of this entry is rather long. In fact, it is 23 words long. This is humorous because normally, the titles of cases are rather short, maybe 5 words at most, but in this case the title was presented long. The funny part about this is that it is out of the norm for a case to have such a long title. The title itself is a very descriptive summary of the case, which adds humor as normally you would not expect a title to be such a summary, but rather a shorter title which sums up a core theme or aspect of the case. In conclusion, the title is long.

Gameplay: There’s two cross examinations. I still don’t understand the first contradiction. In the discussion after the second contradiction I genuinely stopped understanding the logic and what was being said anymore through The Fog. They put my white ass in Silent Hill. I want to go home but I don't remember what home is anymore.

Theme Relevance: The word “impossible” is highlighted in red a few times.
This game sent me to hell, where my unholy torment was a testament to my wretched life and wicked ways, my skin flayed and viscera scattered about, where I weeped and cried but it only bolstered the resolve of my tormenters, for they hate me. I knew what true fear and pain was, but it was no solace for there was no end and no escape. My eternity was soured with an anguish like one could never imagine. My skin cracked like desert soil, and my veins bled like the Tigris and Euphrates, but never enough to quench the thirst of my abusers. Hell is now as hell will always be, has always been, but the fear that bled into my eyes, my scent, and my resolve was a new heaven to you.
Spongesonic

Post by Spongesonic »

Review: The 27th Victory Day Parade or: Moving Forward Without Seeing
Entrant: Mirage Xel
Wasn't expecting to get super political entries this time around...
A prosecutor is put on a case where a protestor gets shot during Victory Day Parade. However, the bullet matches a gun that shouldn't have been able to kill them...
Story: The story here is only in its earliest stages, so the only really interesting part here is the initial premise. The premise is interesting for sure, and I'm interested to see it explored further... but there's nothing here to say because it really is just the opening minutes so far.

Characters: The characters so far are... pretty dry. They're both very cynical about the situation they're in, and that's all we really know about them so far because that's all the entry has gotten around to showing us.

Presentation: So far, the presentation is rough. There's no music, sound effects, or fades of any kind, leading to moments where there's said to be a gunshot an ambulance, but you don't actually hear it, and there's an abrupt cut from one scene to another. This is likely because what's here is in it's very earliest stages.

Gameplay: There is no gameplay yet. It's literally just the intro.

Theme Relevance: The case says the crime is impossible because the murder weapon couldn't be used at the range the crime took place, though I'd like to hear more details about why that actually is. Other than that, there's nothing else here yet.
This was clearly a last-minute attempt to give the judges something to see because Try forced Mirage to give us an entry when it wasn't ready. I sincerely want to apologize to Mirage for Try's actions because it's pretty clear you meant it when you said you didn't have anything to give us yet.
-------
♂ + ♂ = ♥
♀ + ♀ = ♥
♀ + ♂ = ♥

Misc. Information
Samallama

Post by Samallama »

My response to all three reviews:
Spoiler : response :
You’re all incredibly based. Especially Trybien for confirming that RFTA is their favourite case :wellington:
GuardianDreamer
Spoken languages: English, Spanish

Post by GuardianDreamer »

Spoiler : General review trends, not specific to any case :
Lots of meta stuff this go-around it seems. I guess it makes sense considering the theme, but I was caught off-guard.
Hosted The Year of Luigi competition (and here's the awards ceremony).
Current AAO projects (to be completed eventually, probably, hopefully): A Silly Little Dream (hopefully 2024), My Dearest Direst Disgrace (hopefully 2025)
Stuff I've made on here: QotU
Make My Life Worse
Malleus Maleficarum: The Witch of San Ignacio
The Six Transgender Lesbian Goddesses of Love Are Having A Petty Argument, So They Try To Settle Things Alongside The Three Transgender Gay Gods of Flavor
Defend Him, Not Me!
The Guardian and the Dreamer
I was a guest judge and did a bit of writing for the TICKING TIME BOMB competition.
My Twitter is here
Avatar is of Marth from Fire Emblem, commissioned from @PiyoStoria on Twitter.