Outside the Court

Join in with competitions to make the best trials... with a twist!

Moderator: EN - Forum Moderators

SuperAj3
Spoken languages: English, 日本語(少しだけ)

Outside the Court

Post by SuperAj3 »

⚖️ 𝕆𝕦𝕥𝕤𝕚𝕕𝕖 𝕥𝕙𝕖 ℂ𝕠𝕦𝕣𝕥 ⚖️
Task:
It's your chance to show a new side of the legal world of Ace Attorney! Sure the court is where all the action's at, but that hasn't stopped crazier things from happening outside the court.

Focus on areas of law that don't take place in a courtroom. Could be a tribunal, mediation, interrogation, inquisition, deposition, basically any formal hearing that isn't a court trial. Even non-trial ideas can be run like legal work done in an office, or in-house counsel for a company, it can even be a TV show about the law if you want! As long as it's something that Ace Attorney wouldn't usually go near. The court can exist as a place to conduct these sorts of hearings as I understand assets are limited. The set up is what counts here.

To make this very clear. Pick an area of law that isn't going to end up in court.

Some examples of non-court settings:
  • A tribunal - these are used for low-level issues that may not be important enough to go to court, or may be private bodies that regulate stuff like sport.
  • A mediation - a time when people get together to try and settle their differences with an impartial third party there trying to help the others reach a resolution
  • A law school or legal institution - sometimes the law is merely theoretical... Until it isn't.
I can make an exception for a jury room - You can do this even though it's court. You get to see stuff from a different side of the court.

Some other legal examples:
  • Office work - document drafting, office drama, dealing with clients over the phone. A great example of this concept is the game "The Low Road" which starts you off answering telephone calls and evolves into something much greater.
  • Legal work for a company. Maybe you're a private lawyer doing work for some big business?
  • A private eye or a detective questioning witnesses. This is a little cliche but counts.
There are lots of possibilities here and I can help if you want to run an idea past me. I'm genuinely curious to see what people think the law looks like outside Ace Attorney's borders!

Judging:
Standard rules apply for the judging of this comp. I'll be reviewing based on the following criteria
  • Story: An engaging story is the key to a successful entry. This ties into theme relevance as I'd like to see how you integrate the theme into your storytelling.
  • Characters: How well do your characters interact both with the story and with eachother? Quite a lot of legal processes have a lot of back and forth between parties, so there's lots of room here for some interesting dynamics.
  • Presentation: Art, music, backgrounds! This is where your visual and audible creativity can thrive! This can really add to setting your scene to fit the theme. Don't forget polish, frame timing and textbox animations!
  • Gameplay: I'm pretty lax with this. If your game is engaging and fun I'll enjoy it even if it's got no gameplay mechanics. Pick a play style that best allows you to convey your story effectively.
  • Theme Relevance: How well does your case reflect the "Task" outlined above. The idea is to use the task to prompt your own creativity, so if you bend things a little I won't mind. As long as the experience is engaging and I can see you've used the theme you will be fine.
Rules:
  • Entries must have been created between 18 April 2023 and 19 July 2023. This time is in AEDT (GMT +11).
  • Please submit your Entry and a walkthrough to me, SuperAj3 before the deadline via Private Message.
  • Entries must not be showcased until it is both after the deadline and it has been reviewed and my review is published, but can be shown following review and before the ceremony.
  • Entries must not be edited after submission until the competition is over (except for fixing any game-breaking bugs).
  • Entries can spoil mainline and spin-off Ace Attorney games. Just be considerate if those spoilers are major and err on the side of putting a spoiler warning at
    the beginning of the case if you're unsure.
  • Entries may be an Investigation, Trial, Comedy, or Miscellaneous so long as it follows the comp rules.
  • Entries may be incomplete.
  • Entries may be a collaboration between as many people as you want, but all collaborators must make it known that they are collaborating and entering together.
Deadline:
Please send your entry and walkthrough to me, SuperAj3, by 11:59PM, Wednesday, 19 July 2023 AEDT (GMT +11) via private message. I'll set a 24 hour grace period as usual for any last-minute submissions.

Entrants:
  • XavierWright - took the express train Outside the Court.
  • Spongesonic Went too fast to the court.
  • eerew, applekitty and Parcark Simon Scooped up by the court.
  • Madoc Valente sent him to the court.
  • Jofe - found Jehft Outside the Court.
  • Super legenda Sent to the court.
  • Sonnie Celanna - (I'm all out of Rumper puns 😭) Outside the Court
  • icannothinkofaname - could think of an entry that falls Outside the Court.
  • Bench fell in the mud on the way to court.
  • CallMeBlue - all twists O'Fait happen Outside the Court.
  • pinkcocoapowder - what the scallop'd right Outside the Court
  • risefromtheashes - gaslit, gatekeeped and girlbossed Outside the Court.
  • Ryusa - and with that, the final entrant is Outside the Court.
  • Trybien Colton's honour is restored... in court.
  • that1stickman - stuck it to 'em Outside the Court.
  • Samallama - had no probllamas Outside the Court.
  • DeathByAutoscroll - Maid her way Outside the Court
  • Dylan Dog, Skyem, Trybien - f*ck, I'm scared
RESULTS:

The ceremony: https://aaonline.fr/player.php?trial_id=145390
Spoiler : The awards :
ImageUnderstands Deadlines - For finishing your entry within the 3 month window - Congrats Jofe, Sonnie, Trybien/Dylan/Skye, DBA, that1stickman and Ryusa!
ImageGolden Cactus - We still don't know what this is for but this entry really ticked all the boxes for its criteria! - Congrats to Trybien/Dylan/Skye!
ImageGolden Paintrbush - For strong artistic talents on display. - Congrats Jofe, Samallama and icannotthinkofaname!
ImageBrevity - For making a short and impactful entry. - Congrats Sonnie Celanna!
ImageComedy God - For being a funny little trooper. - Congrats Ryusa!
ImageTinfoil Hat - For making me believe in one thing and then subverting my expectations with an even larger mystery. - Congrats CallMeBlue and DeathByAutoscroll!
ImageGameplay 'n Gimmicks - For adding lots of unique gameplay mechanics to your entries! - Congrats Jofe and Ryusa!
ImageAAO Wizard - For really pushing the limtis of the AAO engine. - Congrats Jofe!
ImageTicks all the Boxes -For giving so many optional present/examine and talk prompts! - Congrats Samallama and Ryusa!
ImagePride Power - For the queer representation! - Congrats risefromtheashes!
ImageScientifically Speaking - For the sheer amount of Ema Skyes in these entries - Congrats CallMeBlue, XavierWright, Ryusa, Samallama and
icannotthinkofaname!

ImageGreat Potential - For showing great potential in your casemaking skills - Congrats that1stickman!
ImageDulcet Tones - For your work on making custom audio for your cases! - Congrats CallMeBlue and that1stickman!
ImageExpose s'il vous plaît? - For the longest exposition to the case. - Congrats icannotthinkofaname!
ImageMobile Mandy - For making their case on mobile, despite fully knowing the risks. - Congrats pinkcocoapowder!
ImageStar of Many Hats - For honouring the trend of witnesses taking on many hats. - Congrats that1stickman!
ImageWatson - For the best sidekick in the bunch. - Congrats risefromtheashes!
Spoiler : Almost Actual Winner :
Image - CONGRATS TO RYUSA!!
Spoiler : Actual Winner :
Image - CONGRATS TO SAMALLAMA!!!!!!!!
Last edited by SuperAj3 on Tue Aug 01, 2023 8:44 am, edited 48 times in total.
ImageImageImageImage
Avatar from the TSub website :april:
Dylan Dog
Spoken languages: English, Italian, Spanish, a little German.

Re: Outside the Law

Post by Dylan Dog »

The comp title is a little misleading, as the entry has to have to do with the law except a case brought to court.
SuperAj3

Outside the Court

Post by SuperAj3 »

Dylan Dog wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 12:38 pm The comp title is a little misleading, as the entry has to have to do with the law except a case brought to court.
I fix, I fix :redd:
ImageImageImageImage
XavierWright
Spoken languages: English

Re: Outside the Court

Post by XavierWright »

Could the case be about like an AAI type case of sorts?
(Not with all the logic functions and stuff and obviously but merely the type of case.)
Where you investigate a case but its not a case brought to court?
SuperAj3

Post by SuperAj3 »

XavierWright wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 1:13 pm Could the case be about like an AAI type case of sorts?
(Not with all the logic functions and stuff and obviously but merely the type of case.)
Where you investigate a case but its not a case brought to court?
Yeah that's fine. That falls within that "private eye/detective" example so you're more than welcome to do so.
ImageImageImageImage
XavierWright

Post by XavierWright »

Ight then coach, put me in.
Spongesonic

Post by Spongesonic »

Maybe I'm an idiot for wanting to work on yet another project, especially since losing the comp ceremony put me in a sour mood, but I got a neat little idea for this one and I think it'll be the pick-me-up I need. Sign me up.
Winner of the "Broken Commandments" Case Competition
-------
♂ + ♂ = ♥
♀ + ♀ = ♥
♀ + ♂ = ♥
Love should be genderless.
If you agree, please add this to your signature.

Misc. Information
Steam: spongesonic
Youtube: SpongesonicPictures
Sonnie Celanna

Post by Sonnie Celanna »

Question, does the actual plot have to heavily involve the non-court based legal process, or would it being prominent in the locations and the general background details of a story also be okay? I have an idea but what version of it I want to go with kind of depends on the answer.
S. Cel :april: :pearlhappy:
TimeAxis

Post by TimeAxis »

I may have an idea, but I’m not sure it’ll qualify, and it would be a lot of work. I’m not going to commit just yet.
Question Arcs (Threads Coming Eventually)
ImageImageImageImage
Gaiden Episodes
Champion of Turnabouts ★
HALLOWEEN HERO
Other
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attornauts
The Curious Case of the Phantom Limousine (Coming Eventually)
The Imposter's Turnabout (Coming Maybe)
applekitty

Post by applekitty »

I'm entering with eerew.
ImageImageImage
eerew

Post by eerew »

I'm entering with applekitty.
Madoc

Post by Madoc »

I have something good for this. Count me in.
DeathByAutoscroll

Post by DeathByAutoscroll »

I have an idea for this, but not sure about time.

Not formally entering but don't be surprised if there is a last minute entry
Thrower of bricks.

Co-host of the Into the Takumi-verse case compeition.

Stuff I've made in 2 weeks:
The Impossible Turnabout
Erinaceinae Griminance

Cases I have collabed on:
Don't Resort to a Turnabout (W.I.P)
Trucy's Magical Catastrophe
That time I got reincarnated as a fictional Defence Lawyer in An Ace Attorney fangame and had to defend myself against incredibly unfair odds.

Stuff I've made by myself that is good:
...maybe in the future.
DJJ6800

Post by DJJ6800 »

For once, I'm actually NOT going to enter a comp only to drop out later on. Though I'm willing to be a playtester if anyone wants
Jofe
Spoken languages: Français [100%], English [70%]

Post by Jofe »

I'm entering, and I'm starting to work on it right now.
Image Image Image Image Image