[M][C][CE] Colton Owen: After All's Over ●○

Find and discuss trials made by other members and showcase your own trials.

Moderators: EN - Forum Moderators, EN - Trial Reviewers

SuperAj3
Spoken languages: English, 日本語(少しだけ)

[M][C][CE] Colton Owen: After All's Over ●○

Post by SuperAj3 »

A mini-series I have planned starring the OCs of my old fangame project and a culmination of a few case comp entries I've made using them.

Cases:
𝓣𝓱𝓮 𝓢𝓾𝓫𝓵𝓲𝓶𝓮 𝓣𝓾𝓻𝓷𝓪𝓫𝓸𝓾𝓽
by SuperAj3 and MasqueradeDemure
Link: https://aaonline.fr/player.php?trial_id=141963
Spoiler : Synopsis :
A young law student and his mentor take on a test case surrounding an impossible murder, when it's revealed that there's more than meets the eye. Join Colton as he uncovers the mystery behind the company that started it all.
Spoiler : Preview Images :
Image Image Image Image
Spoiler : Walkthrough :
Trial: Opening
1. "Question the glass eye"

Day 1:
Talk:
1. "Sublime Company"
2. "I want a refund!"
3. "How do you know my name?"

Move - Front Desk

Front Desk
Talk:
1. Role of a Trainee

Present:
1. Trainee Pass

Examine:
1. Whiteboard

(Taken to Sleeping Quarters)

Move: Office Lobby

Office Lobby:
Talk:
1. Hot Goss
a. "Personality Change"
b. "Why so secretive?"
c. "Head back"
2. Sublime Leader

Move: Front Desk
Examine:
1. Whiteboard

Move: Office Lobby
Talk:
3. Ded Ghai

Move: Sleeping Quarters

Day 2:

Move:
1. Office Lobby

Move:
1. Back Rooms

(auto moves you to Manufacturing Room)

Talk:
1. What should I work on?
2. Problem

Move: Back Rooms

Move: Front Desk

Examine: the desk to the right of the scene

Move: Back Rooms

Move: Manufacturing Room

Talk:
1. Thanks for the hint
2. Work

Examine: Large Red Box with white poster on it (top-middle of the scene)

Day 3:

Present: Expensive Locket

Cross Examination: "The Locket"
Present Stray Paperwork at statement 5: "But since we broke up..."

Cross Examination: "What's So Bad About It?"
Present CCTV Footage at statement 3 "Unlawful?..."

Present: Alex Ander

Present: Nat Alie

Examine: Time Stamp (bottom right-hand corner of scene)

Select: "You Knew About the Murder Before It Happened"

Cross Examination: "For The Greater Good"
Present Script at statement 5 "It was a one-time..."

Present: Trainee Pass OR Sublime Corp Card

Ending present: Present the Expensive Locket.

FIN
𝘾𝙤𝙡𝙩𝙤𝙣'𝙨 𝙒𝙞𝙡𝙙 𝙒𝙤𝙧𝙡𝙙
by SuperAj3
Part 1: https://aaonline.fr/player.php?trial_id=144425
Part 2: https://aaonline.fr/player.php?trial_id=144463
Part 3: TBA
Spoiler : Synopsis :
Colton is back and this time he's lost touch with the world as his sister has been arrested for tax evasion. Colton's friend Stella tries to cheer him up with a surprise trip to watch her band record their new song, when things take a turn for the wild.
Spoiler : Preview Images :
Image Image Image Image
Spoiler : Walkthrough for Part 1 :
Part 1:
Investigation (any order)

Recording Room 3:
- Examine the body

Lounge
Talk:
- What you saw
- Last hurrah
Examine:
- couch

Reception:
Talk:
- About the murder
- Wendy Owen (OR Present Wendy's profile)
Examine:
- Receptionist

Major Records Entrance:
- Axel's Account
- Dion's Account

Detective's Findings
Testimony 1:
- Present Ella Valotta's profile to statement 3 "We even have evidence..."

Testimony 2:
- Present Glass Shards to statement 5 "The weapon must've..."

On the prompt "What did we receive from Stella..."
The correct answer is the Non-disclosure agreement, but the game will progress regardless of what you present.

Investigation:
Lounge:
Examine the body and the bottle.
Spoiler : Walkthrough for Part 2 :
Investigation:
Talk:
- Both prompts are optional but recommended. The game will prompt you to read these if you skip them.

The Editor screen:
- enter 144425
Spoiler : Optional entries for some silly dialogue: :
Once entered 144425:
(I encourage trying the wrong answers at this point as I've added some optional dialogue here. The game has no penalties so you can try them over again without worrying.)
Scene 1 "Moments Before the Flight"
Select "Both Axel and Stella"
Select "The Guilt Trips"

Scene 2 "Discovering the First Body"
Examine the body
Select "the foreground layer is on"

Scene 3 "The Ulterior Motive"
Examine the body.
Examine the sheep necklace.

Scene 4 "The Second Body Appears"
Foreground
Turn on "Rex's body".

Music
Turn on "Rita's Theme".

Persons
Turn on "Addeline".
A full list of credits for each case is present within the games themselves (I've added credits options for people at the start to view them).
Last edited by SuperAj3 on Mon Apr 24, 2023 1:24 am, edited 5 times in total.
ImageImageImageImage
Avatar from the TSub website :april:
Jofe
Spoken languages: Français [100%], English [70%]

Re: [M][C][CE] Colton Owen: After All's Over ●○

Post by Jofe »

If it's not in too long, I'll probably do the three parts in a row when they're all out. :)
Image Image Image Image Image
Trybien
Spoken languages: English

Post by Trybien »

I can't believe AJ had the audacity to not release the best part yet. No one here is ready for how wild Wild World gets.
Winner of the “Broken Commandments” Case Competition
icannothinkofaname

Post by icannothinkofaname »

I just finished The Sublime Turnabout! This might sound weird, but the first word I'd use to describe it is probably stylish. With the intro music and all the 70s decor. The story was fun, despite it being relatively quick. I feel a bit bad comparing stuff I like to other media, but the corporate cult-speak and retro designs reminded me of the show Severance, if you've ever seen that. (And I should say, I mean that as a positive comparison.)

Spoiler : :
Also the reveal of Rosemary Thyme being the main villain was really fun, and I love the new sprites.
SuperAj3

Post by SuperAj3 »

icannothinkofaname wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 5:35 am I just finished The Sublime Turnabout! This might sound weird, but the first word I'd use to describe it is probably stylish. With the intro music and all the 70s decor. The story was fun, despite it being relatively quick. I feel a bit bad comparing stuff I like to other media, but the corporate cult-speak and retro designs reminded me of the show Severance, if you've ever seen that. (And I should say, I mean that as a positive comparison.)

Also the reveal of Rosemary Thyme being the main villain was really fun, and I love the new sprites.
Thanks for playing! Yeah Sublime was a quick entry Masq and I did for a prior case comp. I was definitely inspired by stuff like Loki and The Low Road with those decade-inspired office settings leading to something more supernatural!

Also part 2 of Wild World is just about done! I'll be adding it to the OP along with a walkthrough shortly.
ImageImageImageImage
SuperAj3

Post by SuperAj3 »

Someone's reported to me assets in Wild World part 1 aren't loading for them. I've checked on multiple browsers on my end but can't replicate this issue. If others try and see any issues, please let me know and I'll see what I can do to replicate and fix the issue.
ImageImageImageImage
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

SuperAj3 wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 2:08 pm Someone's reported to me assets in Wild World part 1 aren't loading for them. I've checked on multiple browsers on my end but can't replicate this issue. If others try and see any issues, please let me know and I'll see what I can do to replicate and fix the issue.
p4Dd1gO.gif doesn't seem to exist
AshuraMage
Spoken languages: English/Portuguese

Post by AshuraMage »

He really took that :pearl:
(this ocurred after I presented something wrong in the first DF in part 1)
In 2021 I was bored and made an AMV that now has 100K+ views
SuperAj3

Post by SuperAj3 »

Thanks guys! Must've happened in my imgur cleanup. Easy to fix

Edit: I've replaced all links with new ones in Part 1 and they should all be working now. Thanks again for your help. If there are anymore issues, let me know.
ImageImageImageImage
AshuraMage
Spoken languages: English/Portuguese

Post by AshuraMage »

Hey, I noticed a mistake in music choice(I think)
When Addeline announces that the second Rex is dead, a remix of Simple Folk plays instead of a tense music or something, which I think was what was supposed to play in that scene

(edit)
Oh, forget it, this world really is wild.
In 2021 I was bored and made an AMV that now has 100K+ views
icannothinkofaname

SuperAj3 wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 12:18 am Thanks guys! Must've happened in my imgur cleanup. Easy to fix

Edit: I've replaced all links with new ones in Part 1 and they should all be working now. Thanks again for your help. If there are anymore issues, let me know.
I'm not sure if this is still a problem but when I was playing Sublime, I had a similar issue with the check image for the CCTV footage. Everything else was fine, but that has a 'imgur can't find this' placeholder.
SuperAj3

Post by SuperAj3 »

icannothinkofaname wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 4:35 am
SuperAj3 wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 12:18 am Thanks guys! Must've happened in my imgur cleanup. Easy to fix

I'm not sure if this is still a problem but when I was playing Sublime, I had a similar issue with the check image for the CCTV footage. Everything else was fine, but that has a 'imgur can't find this' placeholder.
Thanks! This should be fixed. I've doubled checked Sublime and both parts of Wild World and am fixing things as I go. Rotten timing to have to move stuff as I just released. I was hoping it'd be seamless :gumshoe:
ImageImageImageImage
icannothinkofaname

SuperAj3 wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 4:38 am Thanks! This should be fixed. I've doubled checked Sublime and both parts of Wild World and am fixing things as I go. Rotten timing to have to move stuff as I just released. I was hoping it'd be seamless :gumshoe:
Oh yeah, I saw there was a whole thing with imgur taking a bunch of stuff down. Definitely a case of rough timing. Good luck with getting everything sorted though 07
GuardianDreamer
Spoken languages: English, Spanish

Post by GuardianDreamer »

Some very quick brain thoughts about these cases.
Spoiler : Sublime :
A while ago I shared a stream of consciousness going through this when it was technically publicly released, though to sum up my thoughts, I enjoyed Sublime just fine but struggled with some of the logic in Thyme's testimonies towards the end (though it's been long enough that I don't remember the specifics). I also felt like the pacing was far too quick and struggled to get invested in the case. That said, the presentation game is strong and there's a lot of jokes that I appreciate even if not quite my sense of humor, with a particular highlight being the early "easy end". I do wish that the ending had more time to breathe, but I'm very very aware that there was a rush to meet a deadline here, so it feels redundant to mention that again. That said, the work's big strength is that it has a very strong unique identity that I appreciate, and the comedic handling of Sublime Corp as a whole is really well-handled and balanced well.
Spoiler : Wild World :
well there's a reference to Mania so obviously this has to be a masterpiece right, I am very easily bribed

So I've mentioned before that I am a very "well, this might as well happen" type of person and am not very big on like. Being shocked by what a work does, it takes a ton to get that kind of reaction out of me. So as I got into part 2 of Wild World, I wasn't sure how I felt about the twist and what the story was going for. I decided to sleep on it and take some more time to think about it. I've reached a conclusion of sorts and realized that it just didn't quite work for me, but with that said, there's still a lot in Wild World for me to enjoy. I'll do my best to explain. Before anything else I'll say that I liked it overall, but it might be accurate to say I liked part 1 while part 2 kind of lost me (but I do respect what it's doing).

On the whole, I found Wild World to be a really nice experience that flowed together nicely and had a fun cast. I may not know a lot about these OCs and what their original stories are, but they clearly have a lot of thought put into them, and the interactions on a whole are fun. I was kind of mixed on the humor, but also I took a lot at another person's SoC and it's extremely obvious this is very subjective, because a joke I found not funny ended up being a massive hit with that other person (I don't know why I'm being so vague, it was Dylan's SoC and it was the Dark Age of Colton joke that didn't land for me but landed very much for Dylan). I found a fair amount of presentation issues, but those have since been fixed since my playthrough and some of them were caused by having to rehost stuff so. You know, it is what it is. Presentation game is still strong, and I imagine it'll be much smoother now that the quirks have been ironed out.

A thing I really appreciated is that I felt like I had a much firmer grasp on Colton's character compared to Sublime. He was a fun protagonist. Addeline was probably my second-favorite after him. I do feel like Dion and especially Rex could have used more, but the latter at least feels kind of intentional considering what the case is like, and part 3 has a chance to address my concerns there. I do wish there was more in the way of optional present dialogue during the investigation, but I 100% realize that that's something I'm super big on that other people don't necessarily focus on, and also comp deadline stress is very real and will consume us all ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh (that's me yelling into the void).

I've had some time to think over part 2 specifically as well as the twist of the story and realized that the story it's trying to tell isn't quite my thing, but I understand that other people will be more keen on it. For me, I think it's just that the idea of the band drama feels like a much more interesting story to me personally, and I really wanted to see more of the character drama that happened when Stella opened up about how the NDA and contract stuff made her feel. So basically I end up feeling like I'd be more interested in the "original timeline" than the meta timeline, which is an awkward position to be in considering what WW is going for. I am still trying to figure out what exactly about the meta twist doesn't quite land for me, since I've enjoyed a lot of meta works and have even made some myself. I don't want to discourage you though. You've clearly committed and I have a lot of respect for people telling the stories they want to tell.

I think my thoughts are currently kind of ??????? because I'm wondering how part 3 will tie things together. I feel like part 3 might make me re-evaluate how I feel about part 2 at least. Though even if this doesn't end up quite being my thing, I will still have found part 1 enjoyable and had a lot to enjoy.

A minor nitpick: I'll admit that I struggled a ton with the very first Dance of Deduction. The one where you're meant to present Stella's profile. This might just be me specifically but the way the co-counsel dialogue is worded made me think that the Crime Scene Notes is what I needed to present, and the idea of presenting Stella's profile never even occurred to me. It's the one time I had to consult a guide. I think a big part of this is the fact that "blunt-force trauma" is highlighted in the second statement of the CE, which inadvertantly set me on the completely wrong path. That's the best way I can explain it.

Best of luck as you continue making your thing AJ. I hope Colton becomes a pro Fortnite gamer.
Hosted The Year of Luigi competition (and here's the awards ceremony).
Current AAO projects (to be completed eventually, probably, hopefully): A Silly Little Dream (hopefully 2024), My Dearest Direst Disgrace (hopefully 2025)
Stuff I've made on here: QotU
Make My Life Worse
Malleus Maleficarum: The Witch of San Ignacio
The Six Transgender Lesbian Goddesses of Love Are Having A Petty Argument, So They Try To Settle Things Alongside The Three Transgender Gay Gods of Flavor
Defend Him, Not Me!
The Guardian and the Dreamer
I was a guest judge and did a bit of writing for the TICKING TIME BOMB competition.
My Twitter is here
Avatar is of Marth from Fire Emblem, commissioned from @PiyoStoria on Twitter.
DWaM

Post by DWaM »

Played through Wild World. Was pretty neat!
Spoiler : Wild World :
Judging by some of the judges' comments for the other entries, it would seem "meta" was a common component between a lot of the entries. I'll admit Part 1 was more engaging for me -- there was kind of an unspoken understanding that wherever this is going would have to be otherworldly, but seeing the characters react to those situations was ultimately more interesting to me than seeing the curtain fall. But so it goes -- there's not really an easy way to transition to the revelation, especially since the pacing and structure is so tight that there's nowhere else to go.

The main issue I had with Part 2 was that I'm not sure I fully understood the mechanics or even what my actions were achieving.

For example, on most scenes we were "fixing" the timeline by recreating what happened -- but in the case of the "Discovering the body scene" we flat-out made the body disappear and changed the result of the scene.

Similarly, I'm not entirely sure I understood how the two timelines thing works? My initial assumption throughout most of Part 2 that someone was fiddling around in the editor as an explanation for the impossible events -- but with more than one loop being thrown on top of it, I'm not sure I quite got it, even with the diagram...