The Year of Luigi

Join in with competitions to make the best trials... with a twist!

Moderator: EN - Forum Moderators

GuardianDreamer
Spoken languages: English, Spanish

Re: The Year of Luigi

Post by GuardianDreamer »

Time's up!!!

We have quite the turnout of Luigis here, with half the entrants submitting during the grace period. As some of you may know, I've taken the liberty of doodling some MS paint drawings taking some highly professional photography of what all the contestants really look like. I will give credit where credit is due and say that this is inspired by something the hosts of the Never Trust the Narrator comp did a long time ago, where they edited the contestant's avatars to create goth versions of them. Except in my case it's highly professional photography of AAO or Discord avatars. Let's take a look at all of our Luigis now. This will also be the order I'll be doing the reviews in, for the record.

- Image Spongesonic
- Image DJJ6800
- Image CodingAnt
- Image XavierWright
- ImageTimeAxis & Image Bannedfrom7
- Image MasqueradeDemure
- Image Spoonmaster12
- Image that1stickman
- Image Puppy Dance 9
- Image skyem

Expect the first review most likely later today, with a backup date of tomorrow in case anything goes horribly wrong. I really like the idea of posting one review per day, so I'd like to see if I can do that. Best of luck to all the contestants, and I hope you're as excited as I am to see what everyone's come up with. Get hype oomfies. Happy Year of Luigi.
Hosted The Year of Luigi competition (and here's the awards ceremony).
Current AAO projects (to be completed eventually, probably, hopefully): A Real Name (2024), A Silly Little Dream (hopefully late 2024 or very early 2025), My Dearest Direst Disgrace (hopefully late 2025)
Stuff I've made on here: QotU
Make My Life Worse
Malleus Maleficarum: The Witch of San Ignacio
The Six Transgender Lesbian Goddesses of Love Are Having A Petty Argument, So They Try To Settle Things Alongside The Three Transgender Gay Gods of Flavor
Defend Him, Not Me!
The Guardian and the Dreamer
I was a guest judge and did a bit of writing for the TICKING TIME BOMB competition.
My Twitter is here
Avatar is of Marth from Fire Emblem, commissioned from @PiyoStoria on Twitter.
DeathByAutoscroll
Spoken languages: English

Post by DeathByAutoscroll »

10 entires :shock:
Am hype for the first review later today and loving the ms paint professional photography
Thrower of bricks.

Co-host of the Into the Takumi-verse case compeition.

Stuff I've made in 2 weeks:
The Impossible Turnabout
Erinaceinae Griminance

Cases I have collabed on:
Don't Resort to a Turnabout (W.I.P)
Trucy's Magical Catastrophe
That time I got reincarnated as a fictional Defence Lawyer in An Ace Attorney fangame and had to defend myself against incredibly unfair odds.

Stuff I've made by myself that is good:
...maybe in the future.
Samallama

Post by Samallama »

It's Weegee time...
ImageImageImage
Spongesonic

Post by Spongesonic »

Ooooh boy, the anxiety is kicking in now...
Winner of the "Broken Commandments" Case Competition
-------
♂ + ♂ = ♥
♀ + ♀ = ♥
♀ + ♂ = ♥
Love should be genderless.
If you agree, please add this to your signature.

Misc. Information
Steam: spongesonic
Youtube: SpongesonicPictures
Gumpei
Spoken languages: English, Al Bhed

Post by Gumpei »

oh so this was what you needed a picture of elephant luigi for but when will it be waluigi’s year
DJJ6800

Post by DJJ6800 »

Gumpei wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 5:38 pm oh so this was what you needed a picture of elephant luigi for but when will it be waluigi’s year
You fool! Every year is the Year of the Wah! Cause Waluigi Number ONE!
GuardianDreamer

The Turnabout that Shouldn't Exist
by Spongesonic
Spoiler : Screenshot :
There is no way to word this without it sounding like a threat.
Disclaimer: This entry contains spoilers for the Ace Attorney series up to and including Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney, mostly concerning Trials & Tribulations as well as AJ: AA.
Spoiler : Audio Review Transcript :
Spoiler : Synopsis :
Here's a thought experiment for you. Imagine if someone with no knowledge of Ace Attorney picked up Trials & Tribulations and finished case 1, then immediately stopped playing the game and picked up Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney. Wouldn't that be wild?

This thought experiment is not entirely unrelated to the contents of this trial.

Serious synopsis: Fresh from successfully defending dorky college student Phoenix Wright and solving the mystery of Doug Swallow's death, Mia Fey finds herself waking up in a strange alleyway with no memory of how she got there. Thankfully, a magician by the name of Trucy Wright belonging to the Wright Talent Agency lends a helping hand to the dazed Mia Fey and- hey wait a second.
Spoiler : Review :
Story/Characters: The story as it currently stands is incomplete, but leaves off in a very interesting point and has already provided a lot of questions, answers, and more questions about what exactly is happening. This is overly simplifying it a bit, but there are basically two big concurrent mysteries going on: the mystery of what exactly the setup mentioned in the synopsis means due to the many questions it raises, and the mystery of the crime that needs to be solved (as well as how the two are connected). Also I lied, there's a third mystery too but you'll have to read the game to find out what it is. It's a bit difficult to talk about the actual plot without delving into spoilers, so all I'll say is that I was very invested in finding out exactly what was going on and how Mia ended up in the bizarre situation she was in.

The characters can roughly be divided into two groups: the returning canon cast, as well as the OCs involved in the crime. The canon cast is given a lot of depth, with a lot of interesting interactions between Mia and the other characters. In particular, The Turnabout that Shouldn't Exist uses its setup to explore some really interesting angles with Mia and the rest of the canon cast, particularly Phoenix and Maya. The OCs so far are a lot simpler, though that's not a bad thing and definitely intentional. Characters that are meant to be unlikeable are good at that, so while the OCs have simpler personalities they work well in their roles and don't feel out of place thanks to some snappy dialogue. I am interested in seeing what the third part does with the OC cast, because there's definitely room to do some very interesting things with them (particularly the character shown in the screenshot of this review)... But I'm not sure which direction Spongesonic will take just yet.

There are certain parts in the story where I went "wait, hold up, I feel like this needs more time to linger and everyone is accepting this too fast" but for the most part it keeps a good pace. The game trusts that you respect its core conceit, I can see someone else being bugged by it a lot more but basically if your reaction to the synopsis I posted was intrigue, then I think you'll happily suspend your disbelief to see where the story goes. For the most part I enjoyed the writing, with only a few instances where I felt like the tone was sort of off (this is mainly in terms of a few references to other AAO cases feeling a bit weirdly handled, but that may just be me).

Oh yeah also there's this mystery character that Spongesonic has teased a lot in screenshots. I found this character quite interesting, but going into any sort of detail would be ruining the surprise. So just imagine that this character is Elephant Luigi. I liked Elephant Luigi's portrayal quite a bit.

Presentation: For the most part the presentation is solid, utilizing the right mixture of canon assets with custom assets courtesy of the Your Art section. Typos are infrequent and everything is word wrapped properly, I also didn't run into any bugs while playing. I will say that I'm a bit more split on the music. In addition to songs from canon Ace Attorney, this case also makes use of tracks from other videogames, some of which I found fitting, some of which I didn't (there were also instances where I changed my mind, such as initially not vibing with the testimony music but then it grew on me). I found this split to be more noticeable in the trial part which utilizes more non-Ace Attorney pieces (or at least I think it does). With that said, music taste is extremely subjective and it might work better for other people. It all works together to help The Turnabout that Shouldn't Exist have its own identity regardless, being recognizably Ace Attorney while still managing to do its own thing.

Gameplay: The Turnabout that Shouldn't Exist currently consists of part 1, which is an investigation, and part 2 which is labeled as "trial former", with the as of yet unreleased third part planned to finish things off. The first part is more or less a standard investigation in terms of core gameplay, with some rooms that require the use of the Examine function to gather all the evidence in the background. It's intuitive enough, though there is one piece of evidence that gave me trouble and made me pixel hunt a bit. The investigation contains a good amount of flavor text, with present dialogue being written for most profiles/evidence that you would expect to elicit a unique reaction and only a few parts where I was like "huh I genuinely thought that would get me unique dialogue". I am the type who presents absolutely everything to everyone on the lookout for obscure dialogue so I was met with the generic present dialogue in a lot of cases, but the stuff that feels like it SHOULD have dialogue for the most part does (the primary exceptions are later into the investigation, where a few profile presents that feel like they should have had dialogue don't, but this isn't a major issue).

As for the trial, it's mainly what you would expect in terms of trial gameplay, with a couple of added cues from The Great Ace Attorney being thrown in as well. For the most part, the trial feels fair on a testimony to testimony basis, though I'm not a big brained mystery buff so I could usually only think in terms of what the game was asking me at the moment. There is one specific moment where I completely whiffed on what the game was expecting from me, but the actual answer did make sense. I had to retry a bit, but I didn't find myself fishing out the guide for help. The gameplay works well for the story.

Theme Relevance: This case utilizes at least two interpretations of the theme, with one of them being spoilery to talk about so I'll talk about the other one instead. Throughout the entire story, Mia Fey's very presence is called into question and she continually has to justify having any sort of role at all. I found this to be quite an interesting take on the theme. I know that Spongesonic had some worries about the theme relevance not being obvious until later in the story, but for me this other interpretation of the theme suited me just fine and would earn a passing grade on its own. Unfortunately, due to this case being incomplete, I can't fully judge everything about the theme relevance just yet... But what's here is a take on the theme that I enjoyed quite a lot. Oh also there's a Super Mario Bros. reference which has nothing at all to do with the theme relevance but I thought I'd mention it because I thought it was funny without being out of place.

Overall: I really enjoyed my time with this case and I look forward to the third part. While the story is unfinished and currently ends on a cliffhanger, the first two parts already have a lot of sharp writing and I'd definitely encourage people to play the first two parts once they're publicly released. What's here is already quite substantial.
Spoiler : Professional Photograph of the Contestant :
Current AAO projects (to be completed eventually, probably, hopefully): A Real Name (2024), A Silly Little Dream (hopefully late 2024 or very early 2025), My Dearest Direst Disgrace (hopefully late 2025)
Make My Life Worse
The Six Transgender Lesbian Goddesses of Love Are Having A Petty Argument, So They Try To Settle Things Alongside The Three Transgender Gay Gods of Flavor
Defend Him, Not Me!
I was a guest judge and did a bit of writing for the TICKING TIME BOMB competition.
My Twitter is here
risefromtheashes
Spoken languages: English, Russian, Armenian, Spanish

Post by risefromtheashes »

GuardianDreamer wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 7:30 pm
The Turnabout that Shouldn't Exist
by Spongesonic
There is no way to word this without it sounding like a threat.
Disclaimer: This entry contains spoilers for the Ace Attorney series up to and including Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney, mostly concerning Trials & Tribulations as well as AJ: AA.
Here's a thought experiment for you. Imagine if someone with no knowledge of Ace Attorney picked up Trials & Tribulations and finished case 1, then immediately stopped playing the game and picked up Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney. Wouldn't that be wild?

This thought experiment is not entirely unrelated to the contents of this trial.

Serious synopsis: Fresh from successfully defending dorky college student Phoenix Wright and solving the mystery of Doug Swallow's death, Mia Fey finds herself waking up in a strange alleyway with no memory of how she got there. Thankfully, a magician by the name of Trucy Wright belonging to the Wright Talent Agency lends a helping hand to the dazed Mia Fey and- hey wait a second.
Story/Characters: The story as it currently stands is incomplete, but leaves off in a very interesting point and has already provided a lot of questions, answers, and more questions about what exactly is happening. This is overly simplifying it a bit, but there are basically two big concurrent mysteries going on: the mystery of what exactly the setup mentioned in the synopsis means due to the many questions it raises, and the mystery of the crime that needs to be solved (as well as how the two are connected). Also I lied, there's a third mystery too but you'll have to read the game to find out what it is. It's a bit difficult to talk about the actual plot without delving into spoilers, so all I'll say is that I was very invested in finding out exactly what was going on and how Mia ended up in the bizarre situation she was in.

The characters can roughly be divided into two groups: the returning canon cast, as well as the OCs involved in the crime. The canon cast is given a lot of depth, with a lot of interesting interactions between Mia and the other characters. In particular, The Turnabout that Shouldn't Exist uses its setup to explore some really interesting angles with Mia and the rest of the canon cast, particularly Phoenix and Maya. The OCs so far are a lot simpler, though that's not a bad thing and definitely intentional. Characters that are meant to be unlikeable are good at that, so while the OCs have simpler personalities they work well in their roles and don't feel out of place thanks to some snappy dialogue. I am interested in seeing what the third part does with the OC cast, because there's definitely room to do some very interesting things with them (particularly the character shown in the screenshot of this review)... But I'm not sure which direction Spongesonic will take just yet.

There are certain parts in the story where I went "wait, hold up, I feel like this needs more time to linger and everyone is accepting this too fast" but for the most part it keeps a good pace. The game trusts that you respect its core conceit, I can see someone else being bugged by it a lot more but basically if your reaction to the synopsis I posted was intrigue, then I think you'll happily suspend your disbelief to see where the story goes. For the most part I enjoyed the writing, with only a few instances where I felt like the tone was sort of off (this is mainly in terms of a few references to other AAO cases feeling a bit weirdly handled, but that may just be me).

Oh yeah also there's this mystery character that Spongesonic has teased a lot in screenshots. I found this character quite interesting, but going into any sort of detail would be ruining the surprise. So just imagine that this character is Elephant Luigi. I liked Elephant Luigi's portrayal quite a bit.

Presentation: For the most part the presentation is solid, utilizing the right mixture of canon assets with custom assets courtesy of the Your Art section. Typos are infrequent and everything is word wrapped properly, I also didn't run into any bugs while playing. I will say that I'm a bit more split on the music. In addition to songs from canon Ace Attorney, this case also makes use of tracks from other videogames, some of which I found fitting, some of which I didn't (there were also instances where I changed my mind, such as initially not vibing with the testimony music but then it grew on me). I found this split to be more noticeable in the trial part which utilizes more non-Ace Attorney pieces (or at least I think it does). With that said, music taste is extremely subjective and it might work better for other people. It all works together to help The Turnabout that Shouldn't Exist have its own identity regardless, being recognizably Ace Attorney while still managing to do its own thing.

Gameplay: The Turnabout that Shouldn't Exist currently consists of part 1, which is an investigation, and part 2 which is labeled as "trial former", with the as of yet unreleased third part planned to finish things off. The first part is more or less a standard investigation in terms of core gameplay, with some rooms that require the use of the Examine function to gather all the evidence in the background. It's intuitive enough, though there is one piece of evidence that gave me trouble and made me pixel hunt a bit. The investigation contains a good amount of flavor text, with present dialogue being written for most profiles/evidence that you would expect to elicit a unique reaction and only a few parts where I was like "huh I genuinely thought that would get me unique dialogue". I am the type who presents absolutely everything to everyone on the lookout for obscure dialogue so I was met with the generic present dialogue in a lot of cases, but the stuff that feels like it SHOULD have dialogue for the most part does (the primary exceptions are later into the investigation, where a few profile presents that feel like they should have had dialogue don't, but this isn't a major issue).

As for the trial, it's mainly what you would expect in terms of trial gameplay, with a couple of added cues from The Great Ace Attorney being thrown in as well. For the most part, the trial feels fair on a testimony to testimony basis, though I'm not a big brained mystery buff so I could usually only think in terms of what the game was asking me at the moment. There is one specific moment where I completely whiffed on what the game was expecting from me, but the actual answer did make sense. I had to retry a bit, but I didn't find myself fishing out the guide for help. The gameplay works well for the story.

Theme Relevance: This case utilizes at least two interpretations of the theme, with one of them being spoilery to talk about so I'll talk about the other one instead. Throughout the entire story, Mia Fey's very presence is called into question and she continually has to justify having any sort of role at all. I found this to be quite an interesting take on the theme. I know that Spongesonic had some worries about the theme relevance not being obvious until later in the story, but for me this other interpretation of the theme suited me just fine and would earn a passing grade on its own. Unfortunately, due to this case being incomplete, I can't fully judge everything about the theme relevance just yet... But what's here is a take on the theme that I enjoyed quite a lot. Oh also there's a Super Mario Bros. reference which has nothing at all to do with the theme relevance but I thought I'd mention it because I thought it was funny without being out of place.

Overall: I really enjoyed my time with this case and I look forward to the third part. While the story is unfinished and currently ends on a cliffhanger, the first two parts already have a lot of sharp writing and I'd definitely encourage people to play the first two parts once they're publicly released. What's here is already quite substantial.
(Sunny, they/any)
I've been REALLY looking forward to this case.
The Mindcastle System
(Don't know what a system is? Play 6-4, and take a look here.)
----------
OUR CASES:
- Athena Cykes ~ Locks on the Heart (synopsis)
- May Your Memory Be a Blessing
- A Little Piece of Healing
- The Killer Turnabout (~70% complete!)
- I guess we made the Looking Back case comp ceremony with Super legenda, but that's not an actual case

----------
Check out our music & art thread here!
omroom

Post by omroom »

GuardianDreamer wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 3:08 pm Time's up!!!

We have quite the turnout of Luigis here, with half the entrants submitting during the grace period. As some of you may know, I've taken the liberty of doodling some MS paint drawings taking some highly professional photography of what all the contestants really look like. I will give credit where credit is due and say that this is inspired by something the hosts of the Never Trust the Narrator comp did a long time ago, where they edited the contestant's avatars to create goth versions of them. Except in my case it's highly professional photography of AAO or Discord avatars. Let's take a look at all of our Luigis now. This will also be the order I'll be doing the reviews in, for the record.

- Image Spongesonic
- Image DJJ6800
- Image CodingAnt
- Image XavierWright
- ImageTimeAxis & Image Bannedfrom7
- Image MasqueradeDemure
- Image Spoonmaster12
- Image that1stickman
- Image Puppy Dance 9
- Image skyem

Expect the first review most likely later today, with a backup date of tomorrow in case anything goes horribly wrong. I really like the idea of posting one review per day, so I'd like to see if I can do that. Best of luck to all the contestants, and I hope you're as excited as I am to see what everyone's come up with. Get hype oomfies. Happy Year of Luigi.
these are beautiful gd
GuardianDreamer

Turnabout in the Spotlight
by DJJ6800
Just tell them he goes way back with the Dragon of Dojima. It'll work.
With Athena and Apollo both off doing their own things, it's a fairly quiet day at the Agency with just the Wrights. Banter between parent and child is disrupted when Phoenix gets a call from a student at Trucy's high school asking for his services as a defense attorney. Due to Trucy's connection to the case, as well as how long it's been since she's helped with a case, she decides to tag along as her dad's assistant. But Phoenix Wright is the main star and she's just a side act... Right?
Story/Characters: As the first fully complete entry in this competition, Spotlight manages to tell a simple but effective story during its runtime. A lot of the fun comes from seeing Trucy Wright in the protagonist's seat, especially whenever she interacts with Phoenix and the way the two play off of each other. It's a fun vibe that the canon games don't explore enough of. I would definitely say that these two are the highlights in terms of the cast. I am admittedly a bit more mixed on the rest of the cast, particularly how Franziska interacts with the OCs. To put it bluntly, while I've never been a fan of the canon games' handling of Franziska's violence in court, it's decidedly more uncomfortable when she does it to the OC cast (who are primarily high schoolers), especially since she's older here than she was in JFA so she doesn't even have her youth as an excuse for immaturity now. Others who are more tolerant of Franziska's antics in JFA might have a different opinion than me however. The OC cast serves their roles well enough, but feel like they needed more time to breathe and their interactions with the canon characters, especially Franziska, sometimes run into weird tonal issues (they're most natural when interacting with Trucy or Phoenix, and feel most off when interacting with Franziska or the Judge).

Presentation: The most impressive part about Spotlight's presentation is something very understated that I nonetheless appreciated: the script is clean and seems to be free of typos. As someone who writes words a lot where typos still slip in even when I think I've gotten them all, I have to appreciate the sheer amount of effort that must have gone into this from DJ as well as the beta-testers listed in the credits. I also enjoyed the music selected for this case and found that it was a good fit. There was often a lack of proper word wrapping, but I do understand that this is something that doesn't bother everyone. Something that's a bit unfortunate but also completely understandable is that since the OCs use sprites from the Custom Characters thread but are mainly supposed to be high schoolers (even if they are older high schoolers) it stands out that in a lot of cases the sprites used make them feel a lot older than they're meant to be. It's quite the experience recognizing a sprite you used for a character in their 30s being used for a high schooler, for instance. However, while I do feel the need to bring it up, once you look past that the sprites selected do manage to capture the spirits of the characters well enough and I have to imagine DJ carefully considered all of this when making their sprite selections. I wrote a story with gods and goddesses where no one remotely looked like divinity, I completely get it. Trucy's "objection" voice clip is taken from the custom voice clips thread, originally performed by Kira Buckland from way back before she was a famous voice actress and was doing fandubs as Rina-chan. Since this "objection" was meant to be in-character as Trucy it suits her pretty well. Unfortunately this does mean that Trucy doesn't have a proper "hold it" voice clip, but you get used to it quickly.

Gameplay: For the most part Spotlight takes the standard formula of an investigation that goes into a trial and runs with that tried and true formula. An interesting thing that Spotlight does with regards to gameplay is actually tied to something it doesn't do at the beginning. The start of the game plays out more like a linear visual novel, with Trucy observing Phoenix doing all the actual gameplay with some jokes about how weird adventure game protagonists look from the outside looking in (these jokes remaining fresh and not overstaying their welcome). It's even treated as a surprise when Trucy realizes she actually has to go do something on her own. I found that to be an interesting way of using Ace Attorney's gameplay mechanics to tie into its storytelling. The contradictions in the trial itself mostly felt fair or on the easier side, with one exception of a present that I feel like should have accepted an alternative answer (but the actual answer does make sense). Also Trucy's hat is her Attorney's Badge equivalent and that's cute.

Theme Relevance: The interpretation of the theme used for Spotlight is actually really similar to one of the examples I gave when showing how broad the theme could be, specifically the one about how our usual Mario is out of commission for whatever reason. The theme relevance here is very evident and clear-cut, with Phoenix Wright serving as our usual would-be Mario while Trucy is forced to step up to the plate instead. Trucy is very interesting as a choice for our Luigi, particularly before she officially takes over as our true main character (I go into this a little bit in the gameplay section). All this to say that Spotlight makes good use of the theme, being relevant to this comp while also serving as a nice hook for new players after the comp is over.

Overall: A fun case with an unusual main character. While there are some tonal dissonance issues that I mention, Spotlight is overall a nice, complete package that tells a simple but effective story during its 2-3 hours of reading. As the first case by DJ that I've played, I look forward to playing more of their works one day.
Make My Life Worse
Defend Him, Not Me!
My Twitter is here
DJJ6800

Post by DJJ6800 »

GuardianDreamer wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 3:31 pm
Turnabout in the Spotlight
by DJJ6800
Just tell them he goes way back with the Dragon of Dojima. It'll work.
With Athena and Apollo both off doing their own things, it's a fairly quiet day at the Agency with just the Wrights. Banter between parent and child is disrupted when Phoenix gets a call from a student at Trucy's high school asking for his services as a defense attorney. Due to Trucy's connection to the case, as well as how long it's been since she's helped with a case, she decides to tag along as her dad's assistant. But Phoenix Wright is the main star and she's just a side act... Right?
Story/Characters: As the first fully complete entry in this competition, Spotlight manages to tell a simple but effective story during its runtime. A lot of the fun comes from seeing Trucy Wright in the protagonist's seat, especially whenever she interacts with Phoenix and the way the two play off of each other. It's a fun vibe that the canon games don't explore enough of. I would definitely say that these two are the highlights in terms of the cast. I am admittedly a bit more mixed on the rest of the cast, particularly how Franziska interacts with the OCs. To put it bluntly, while I've never been a fan of the canon games' handling of Franziska's violence in court, it's decidedly more uncomfortable when she does it to the OC cast (who are primarily high schoolers), especially since she's older here than she was in JFA so she doesn't even have her youth as an excuse for immaturity now. Others who are more tolerant of Franziska's antics in JFA might have a different opinion than me however. The OC cast serves their roles well enough, but feel like they needed more time to breathe and their interactions with the canon characters, especially Franziska, sometimes run into weird tonal issues (they're most natural when interacting with Trucy or Phoenix, and feel most off when interacting with Franziska or the Judge).

Presentation: The most impressive part about Spotlight's presentation is something very understated that I nonetheless appreciated: the script is clean and seems to be free of typos. As someone who writes words a lot where typos still slip in even when I think I've gotten them all, I have to appreciate the sheer amount of effort that must have gone into this from DJ as well as the beta-testers listed in the credits. I also enjoyed the music selected for this case and found that it was a good fit. There was often a lack of proper word wrapping, but I do understand that this is something that doesn't bother everyone. Something that's a bit unfortunate but also completely understandable is that since the OCs use sprites from the Custom Characters thread but are mainly supposed to be high schoolers (even if they are older high schoolers) it stands out that in a lot of cases the sprites used make them feel a lot older than they're meant to be. It's quite the experience recognizing a sprite you used for a character in their 30s being used for a high schooler, for instance. However, while I do feel the need to bring it up, once you look past that the sprites selected do manage to capture the spirits of the characters well enough and I have to imagine DJ carefully considered all of this when making their sprite selections. I wrote a story with gods and goddesses where no one remotely looked like divinity, I completely get it. Trucy's "objection" voice clip is taken from the custom voice clips thread, originally performed by Kira Buckland from way back before she was a famous voice actress and was doing fandubs as Rina-chan. Since this "objection" was meant to be in-character as Trucy it suits her pretty well. Unfortunately this does mean that Trucy doesn't have a proper "hold it" voice clip, but you get used to it quickly.

Gameplay: For the most part Spotlight takes the standard formula of an investigation that goes into a trial and runs with that tried and true formula. An interesting thing that Spotlight does with regards to gameplay is actually tied to something it doesn't do at the beginning. The start of the game plays out more like a linear visual novel, with Trucy observing Phoenix doing all the actual gameplay with some jokes about how weird adventure game protagonists look from the outside looking in (these jokes remaining fresh and not overstaying their welcome). It's even treated as a surprise when Trucy realizes she actually has to go do something on her own. I found that to be an interesting way of using Ace Attorney's gameplay mechanics to tie into its storytelling. The contradictions in the trial itself mostly felt fair or on the easier side, with one exception of a present that I feel like should have accepted an alternative answer (but the actual answer does make sense). Also Trucy's hat is her Attorney's Badge equivalent and that's cute.

Theme Relevance: The interpretation of the theme used for Spotlight is actually really similar to one of the examples I gave when showing how broad the theme could be, specifically the one about how our usual Mario is out of commission for whatever reason. The theme relevance here is very evident and clear-cut, with Phoenix Wright serving as our usual would-be Mario while Trucy is forced to step up to the plate instead. Trucy is very interesting as a choice for our Luigi, particularly before she officially takes over as our true main character (I go into this a little bit in the gameplay section). All this to say that Spotlight makes good use of the theme, being relevant to this comp while also serving as a nice hook for new players after the comp is over.

Overall: A fun case with an unusual main character. While there are some tonal dissonance issues that I mention, Spotlight is overall a nice, complete package that tells a simple but effective story during its 2-3 hours of reading. As the first case by DJ that I've played, I look forward to playing more of their works one day.
Thanks a lot for the feedback! Glad to hear you enjoyed it.

For the record, the acronym of my case is something I didn't realize in my head until the due date.
Spoonmaster12
Spoken languages: English, Bengali, Hindi

Post by Spoonmaster12 »

So many beautiful Luigis so far. This'll be a tough competition.
GuardianDreamer

The Turnabout Problem
by CodingAnt
Somehow one of the more coherent things our lead says in this.
The Judge and Edgeworth realize that it's the year 2024 2013 despite all the weird timeline shenanigans this would result in, which means that it's the Year of Luigi. This awakens their weird gremlin instincts as they become rude boys who go to court about the trolley problem and CodingAnt lies to GuardianDreamer about making a very serious case, tricking them into genuinely bracing themself for heavy content and instead getting CodingAnt's favorite scrunklo memes. The fake case exists in our souls. Apollo is there and he's doing his best.
Story/Characters: If you saw the screenshots that CodingAnt posted on this comp thread and read the synopsis, you'll realize that she basically pulled off a bait and switch which I think may be some sort of revenge for her getting tricked by Fran von Karma from the Takumi-verse competition. I have been caught in the cross-fire. Anyway as for the actual entry, it stars our beloved canon Judge as he becomes the world's rudest boy and starts talking like an internet memer getting into arguments with Edgeworth, an even ruder boy. The whole case leans into absurdity, with a lot of meta jokes and a complete lack of a fourth wall. The only character who remotely treats the case seriously is ineffectual instead. CodingAnt gaslighting all of us is a plot point somehow.

As the case is primarily a comedy, it relies a lot on whether you find the jokes funny enough. Humor is very subjective, though for The Turnabout Problem specifically, it takes the approach of telling a lot of jokes rapid-fire to the point that even if only one hits for you every so often, it's still succeeding. Jokes for me ranged from the spectrum from pretty funny, to a couple that I thought went into poor taste and I'd consider rewriting (there's one in particular that I think CodingAnt should reconsider for the public release). That said, it usually does a good job at maintaining the irreverent tone and being funny. Sadly, the case is currently incomplete and the comp entry build ends in an absurdist non-ending, but to be honest if you told me that was the actual ending I'd almost believe you. I look forward to seeing what comes after though, and hope CodingAnt can continue it.

Presentation: The presentation in this case sort of does the thing where it intentionally has bad presentation when it decides it'd be funny, and then randomly has better presentation when it serves the case better. The balance is upheld pretty well, creating an intentional "so bad it's good" effect that lands well. Custom music from Ghost Trick is used and suits the vibes of the case. It all works together to lend a very consistently irreverent tone that has a lot of fun with itself. There is one specific sound effect that I didn't like. It's certainly a sound effect that was chosen. However, I'll go more into it in the next section.

Gameplay: Gameplay is actually taken seriously here, despite the irreverent tone elsewhere. While it's impossible to get a game over in this and there are no penalties to speak of (due to the fact that you're literally the Judge) you will have to think for a bit about the absurd crime. Gameplay is primarily done via a variation of the standard cross-examination where the Judge can blatantly help out Apollo as he does his best. It's fairly intuitive and for the most part the case stays on the easy side. With that said, the very final present of the comp entry build is something that I think I struggled with far more than CodingAnt probably intended. Without giving it away, while there are no traditional penalties, towards the end of the case there is a very loud incorrect buzzing sound that plays for incorrect answers before letting you try again as a joke. The game thankfully gives you a volume warning for it, which you should take 100% seriously. I heard this incorrect buzzing sound more times than CodingAnt likely thought the average player would due to struggling with the final puzzle. It's a massive difficulty spike where the hint isn't clear enough (I thought the hint given meant something else which played a huge part into me hearing that buzzing sound so many times) and the punishment for failure was genuinely sort of uncomfortable to the point I eventually just muted the game until I looked at the walkthrough for the solution. Dark Souls 2 real. (This is an in-joke, like how this case is full of them)

Theme Relevance: You're playing as the Judge who has decided that Apollo (our Mario) is too passive and does his job for him. The case also takes place during the Year of Luigi and many Luigi jokes are made, which is a more literal interpretation of the theme than I expected. Basically this entry uses the theme for memery and jokes in a way that definitely counts for theme relevance and uses the comedic spin effectively.

Overall: I forgive CodingAnt for lying to me because she wrote an essay on why my OC Marnie Yao is so special to her (even if she cheated to do it). Anyway it's a fun comedy except for the parts that pained me. Clown nerd emoji.
Spoiler : Contestant Photograph (Real) (Professional) :
Make My Life Worse
Defend Him, Not Me!
My Twitter is here
Dylan Dog
Spoken languages: English, Italian, Spanish, a little German.

Post by Dylan Dog »

ssarg and gis were a mistake
CodingAnt
Spoken languages: Just English, sadly.

Post by CodingAnt »

Dylan Dog wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 4:36 pm ssarg and gis were a mistake
i wouldn't say that :april:

Thanks for the review, GD! I hope my uber-serious themes didn't go too overboard. Looking forward to seeing the rest of the entries, I bet none of them gaslit us all. :wellington:
ImageImage