The Legend of Zelda

Discuss video games from Pong to Call of Duty, including Ace Attorney games.

Moderators: EN - Assistant Moderators, EN - Forum Moderators

Ami
Spoken languages: English

Re: The Legend of Zelda

Post by Ami »

kwando1313 wrote:There's a Ring Code Generator online somewhere beyond the seeeeeeeeeeeeeea that you can use to generate the GBA-only rings.
Thanks for the info. ^_^
since 2008!
kwando1313
Spoken languages: English, Français (un peu), Ancient Belkan

Post by kwando1313 »

You're welcome~
I saw like a spreadsheet version somewhere on gamefaqs so there probably is a nicer version... Somewhere else.

"The Knight of the Iron Hammer, Vita, and the Steel Count, Graf Eisen. There's nothing in this world we can't destroy."
Tap

Post by Tap »

I'm playing Seasons first this time. I had Seasons on GBC, and my brother had Ages, but whatever we did, we could never get past one of the dungeons without needing the Game Link to progress game further in Seasons. However, now with the light of the internet, I know how to not get stuck again. Hurrah!
ImageImage
kwando1313
Spoken languages: English, Français (un peu), Ancient Belkan

Post by kwando1313 »

Ah, I love Seasons. So much fu~n~

"The Knight of the Iron Hammer, Vita, and the Steel Count, Graf Eisen. There's nothing in this world we can't destroy."
Tap

Post by Tap »

Just finished A Link Between Worlds. The last time I played A Link to the Past was probably six or seven years ago, but the familiarity in the landscape of Between Worlds translates into a certain fondness... An absolutely stunning game, and very much worth playing. :)
ImageImage
Ami

Post by Ami »

Gonna preface this with a comic I just drew about it.

http://genoblades.deviantart.com/art/A- ... -417801957

Just beat the game with everything but the red mail. Forgot to pick it up previous to the final fight.

I concur. What held this game back was its lack of creativity. Its use of the A Link to the Past over-world? That's okay, in my book. However, there's almost nothing done with it other than some updated parts to work with current puzzles.

The bosses that were new were nice. The bosses that were old were nice. However, the re-used old bosses don't really have much more to offer, and it felt... less of a "they're back, and we tweaked them to work with the game better", and more "you remember how to defeat this guy, we're just slapping him here with updated graphics".

While we're on the subject of bosses, the last boss has a part of it that... irks me somewhat. It's the last arrow. The first arrow, we can easily figure out that shooting an arrow in the opposite direction DOESN'T work, and that to get him to stay still, we have to shoot arrows at him so he blocks it, and then we can go around. Then he starts charging, which led to the simple deduction that we're supposed to wait for him to pass us, then merge and shoot. The last one requires that you do exactly what DOESN'T work, because now it works. There's no indication of why it works now (the walls, scenery, etc. doesn't change and no one says anything about the bow gaining strength or anything), just that it does. This is a common symptom of adventure games running out of solutions, so they make up one that you will get only if you guess.

The game's difficulty curve works strangely in this game. Some dungeons are incredibly easy (the majority of second-tier dungeons), while others take incredible focus to find the mechanics of or have easily missable solutions. (Dark Palace, Ice Tower).

The plot was... well, it actually had a twist I didn't see coming.
Spoiler : LoZ:ALBW :
Lethargic Link opener? Check.
Princess Zelda kidnapped? Check.
Sages? Checkaroo.
Master Sword? Check.
Finding magic macguffins in a first 3, then 6/7/8 pattern? Check.
Eleventh hour deus ex machina? Check.
Recent trend of dark anti-villain betrayed by actual villain? Check.

Oh hey, Ravio, looks like he's the routine comedic relief greedy merchant. He's kinda fun, I guess. I like his look, he looks like that thing from the recent Super Mario Bros. Wii games.

Alright, now time for Zelda to convince Hilda that she's wrong.

And... is that Ravio?

What.
I also like the fact that despite this was a top-down game, I had to think three dimensionally. Sometimes Link has to go upwards (towards me), sometimes link has to stick to walls. This was a tad annoying at times when floor/column levels weren't readily apparent, and the solution was to merge onto uneven flooring, when it looks perfectly even.

As far as it goes when it comes to dungeons. Ravio's shop took a lot of exploration and wonder out of the dungeons. While having everything accessible through the shop made it easier to understand each item, and how they'll be used in puzzles, there are some downsides. The discovery of a new item in a dungeon has purpose.

In the new dungeon in older titles, there was a clear obstruction that Link has no capabilities to cross. So you find the new item. Hooray, you can cross it! But this was the sneaky part on the part of developers: by forcing you to use the item over and over for a full dungeon (and possibly the boss fight), you get used to how the item works in puzzles. Then similar puzzles appear in later dungeons, but they are impassable. Then you get a new item! Then you have to learn how to use that item while remembering what the previous ones did.

In this title, having it right away ensures that you take as many as possible with you. I actually thought I'd discover my own versions, and not have to permanently purchase the items. Maiamai dispelled that way of thinking.

If you don't have hte right tool, you have to backtrack through the dungeon, and then go all the way back to the shop, pay the rental/purchase fee, and then go all the way back to where you were. Quite frustrating.

There's upsides and downsides, but this system could be tweaked for future installments.

All in all, an enjoyable, somewhat challenging experience. Now off to playing Persona 3 Portable (more)!
since 2008!
Hikari
Spoken languages: English, a few words in Japanese.

Post by Hikari »

Am I the only one who actually enjoyed Spirit Tracks? Side quests, bunny hunts, stamp collecting and alt. costumes and etc were kinda fun to try (plus that challenge mode).
T u r n a b o u t i n T i m e G a t e
*coming soon*
(AA and Lost Saga crossover / w TF2 cameos)
WhiteZekrom

Post by WhiteZekrom »

GameSpot has declared A Link Between Worlds its Game of the Year.
Hikari
Spoken languages: English, a few words in Japanese.

Post by Hikari »

DUDE. YESTERDAY'S NINTENDO DIRECT. OMG. HYRULE WARRIORS. OMG.

/swoons
T u r n a b o u t i n T i m e G a t e
*coming soon*
(AA and Lost Saga crossover / w TF2 cameos)
gotMLK7
Spoken languages: English, learning French

Post by gotMLK7 »

YES HYRULE WARRIORS LIKE SERIOUSLY NBHJNXBGFHDJS.
Yeah I'm still ungodly hyped for that game. It could be exactly the same as most Tecmo-Koei games and I'd still be excited (I'm a fan of DW5, SW3, and Orochi 3 anyway, so I'd love it even if it were). Also seriously that scarf.

Also, 6 days till Christmas and till I get Link Between Worlds! Yay!
Hersh/Fiendy has credit for the amazing GiGi pics and enigma has credit for the adorable Kenshin Mega Man sprite!

Hodou Okappa

Post by Hodou Okappa »

WhiteZekrom wrote:GameSpot has declared A Link Between Worlds its Game of the Year.
Slow year, eh?
Also known as: okappa, houdou.
Gumpei
Spoken languages: English, Al Bhed

Post by Gumpei »

Nah, just an intentionally controversial pick.
WhiteZekrom

Post by WhiteZekrom »

There's a rumor going around that various iterations of Link, Zelda and Ganondorf will be playable on Hyrule Warriors because, supposedly, the site's coding has language for them.
Bad Player
Spoken languages: American

Post by Bad Player »

Finished ALBW. Seemed pretty... okay. It seemed like a rote entry in the Zelda franchise... nothing super-terrible, but nothing that really stood out to me.
Spoiler : Details, spoilers :
It was definitely a sequel to ALttP... In fact, I thought it relied a bit too heavily on it. We have pretty much the same overworld, and the same dungeons, in the same order. I think something like the relationship between Twilight Princess and Ocarina of Time would have been better; same general layout, some similar dungeons, but still a bit different. In this one it felt like they were just churning out another entry without much innovation. The 2D drawing things was neat and used well, but I feel like it's more on the level of an item (like the Beetle in Skyward Sword) than a whole gameplay system (such as sailing in Wind Waker, or the train in Spirit Tracks) in terms of innovation.

I didn't like the item-borrowing system. Or rather, what I didn't like was getting all the items (okay, all the items but one) right from the get-go. It just isn't Zelda. I would have much preferred it if Lavio increased his stock as the game progressed.

The dungeons definitely got better as the game went on. I had a feeling that they were sort of... small, though. It may have just been me, tho.

Music was meh. The two overworld themes were good, and... that's pretty much all I have to say on that.

The characters were even more meh than usual. Zelda usually doesn't have deep, fleshed-out characters, but... I thought the characters were even flatter and minimalistic than usual. (Yes, we got some sort-of okay stuff at the end, but that isn't until the very end.)

This is probably the closest we're ever going to get to "evil/villain Zelda," and to be honest, I didn't like the way they handled it. My biggest complaint is that the big bad was Yuga, not Hilda. If Hilda had taken over Yuga at the end, rather than the opposite, and the final fight was against Hilda, it would've been fine.

Also... I have no idea what Hilda's plan was. She wanted the Triforce. Okay. She resurrected Ganondorf to get the Triforce of Power. Okay. She turned Zelda into a painting to get the Triforce of Wisdom. Okay. But... how did she plan on getting the Triforce of Courage? Link got the Triforce of Courage because he saved the seven sages and was acknowledged as a hero. But he was able to do that thanks to the help of Lavio... who was not with Hilda or part of her plan. I thought the story was meh as usual, and then I realized this gaping plot hole, and it just made me ~_~ at the plot even more.

Oh, right. I also didn't like the graphics style that much. Or at least, the way the humans were done. They just seemed too simplistic to me. Like... they just looked like blobs.

So yeah. There's no "OMG THIS GAME SUCKS AND IS TERRIBLE AND UNENJOYABLE" part of it, but... at the same time, there's nothing that seems really great to me, like there are in some other Zelda games that I love.
Gumpei
Spoken languages: English, Al Bhed

Post by Gumpei »

It's weird that I agree with basically everything you just said and I still really really liked the game. I just found it incredibly well-designed and super fun to play on the whole. Though I think the wall-merging definitely wasn't just an item. It wasn't as great an innovation as something like the sailing in Wind Waker, but it was still a major part of the game, more than any individual item has ever been, and is largely the most unique feature it has.
Spoiler : :
Also you just made me realize that it would have been an /amazing/ twist if Ravio actually had been part of Hilda's plan and secretly gave you all the necessary items to help Link on his quest to get the Triforce of Courage. I don't see how it's a plot hole as is though. The idea behind getting Yuga to paintify all the Seven Sages was SO Link (or whoever I guess, she probably didn't know exactly who the hero was at the time) could be acknowledged as a hero and get the ToC.

Oh, and I don't see what was flatter about the characters this time around either. There was fun dialogue, Ravio and Hilda had neat endgames, and I really liked how you meet all the seven sages during the beginning of the game. I haven't played Skyward Sword but in my experience Zelda has had like ONE genuinely good character (Midna) so...