Rule Discussion Topic! (A place to help make a change!)

Archives of the AAOnline Mafia game, now relocated to http://saccharynepark.co.cc/

"You are dead PM's from the GM:

Yes! I'm tired of searching for stuff!
76%
I dunno...I think it should be the GM's decision.
24%

Total votes: 25

EmaTheScienceSkye
Winner of AC 1#!
Spoken languages: English, Chinese, French, Spanish, Japanese

Re: Rule Discussion Topic! (A place to help make a change!)

Post by EmaTheScienceSkye »

XDGummyDX wrote:I guess the idea is alright, but then again, if the game nears the end and there's still a fair amount of Mafia left, but not enough to win, they could easily manipulate the No-Lynch-Vote strategy to their own whims. Then they'd get their Night Kill, which saves their hide once, and then gets rid of another Townie.
If there were that many Mafians, they could just as easily vote to lynch a townie.
Your Resident Ema Skye Impersonator.
Blah.
Zeroes

Post by Zeroes »

XDGummyDX wrote:Someone said something about no DT. What? I'm sorry, I just don't see any good reasons for that besides Lifeys not reading it. It's a bummer if you die quickly, or rather, when you die at all, and being able to post in the DT is a way to console that, and it helps you feel like you're still a part of the game.
It pressures people. Even if you the dead people aren't doing it, people are going to feel like the dead people are insulting them, preventing the lifeys from doing anything for fear of getting laughed at.

Not saying that you should CARE if you get laughed at or not, but some people will get insulted. And that's sorta destroying the whole point of Mafia, isn't it?
Zakeri

Post by Zakeri »

I think She means that the Mafia would convince others not to lynch someone and then get a free night kill, and it is a viable strategy unless you introduce a townie that knows the ins and outs of When Not Lynching is effective (like say in a situation where there is one mafioso and three townies. If you try to lynch, it's a 1 in four shot against the Mafia, but if you wait for the night kill, it's a 1 in 3 shot just from pure numbers)

Of course, that's only in situations where the Last Mafioso can't be guessed and they already got the rest of them, which is highly improbable, so that should give you an idea of how often No lynch is actually utilized to the Town's Full potential.

cut:
It pressures people.
I don't think it pressures people. In fact, I don't think it really affects the way I play at all. I mean, yeah, it's possible they're talking about how obviously stupid you are lynching The Disscusional Miller over the Manipulative Bastard, but it's equally possible they're trading Friend Codes with each other so that they can talk about how awesome one of they're Porygon Z's Stats are. I personally don't think it should affect players just because it's being posted in.

In fact, I think I heard about our very own Geno once convincing everyone to bump the death thread just to make it look like they were talking about the living viciously. If you're letting the pressure of a dead thread get to you, you're likely not in the right mentality for the game.
Regy Rusty

Post by Regy Rusty »

If there were no dead thread then those of us who like to watch wouldn't have any reason to stay here. :(

I know that I wouldn't pay attention to a game I wasn't in if I couldn't comment on it.
Zeroes

Post by Zeroes »

I realize that you really should not let the Dead Thread pressure you and get to your head, however I could see people getting persuaded not to post a particular argument just to see it getting laughed at by the DT. And you wouldn't even know if they were laughing at you or not, because you can't check.

However, yes, Regy, then people would have no reason to stay. :cry:

EDIT: How about Vent...?
Regy Rusty

Post by Regy Rusty »

Well, my personal feeling about DTs is that they're really a great thing to have. It's a wonderful place to relax once you're dead and to actually RECORD your thoughts about the game.

Personally, I LOVE reading through them once a game is over or I die. It's something I look forward to the whole time while playing! (Something I got robbed of in RK... T_T)

Anyway, most of the time the DT's really not that insulting, is it? I think there's a nice mixture of praise in there as well.

So yeah, I'd say keep it.
Zakeri

Post by Zakeri »

Dead threads are way to awesome to let something like not posting an awesome argument get in the way of their creation.

Besides, if you're worried about people laughing at your awesome argument, then wouldn't the person not post it anyway even without a dead thread? Because if someone thinks their argument is that weak, wouldn't they think everyone else would stomp it into the garbage and possibly Lynch the guy who suggested it?

And then, once that guy gets lynched, there won't be anyone there to console him and tell him his idea was awesome and the other townies were the idiots for not listening to him.

so, yeah.
Ghaleon
Spoken languages: English

Post by Ghaleon »

If Dead Threads are a problem...then have sensitive materials sent via PM.

Here, we really cannot set topics for certain people to see, like in VG and not able to see if anyone is viewing it like in the Old CR forums.

If people are that into cheating that they would read the Dead Thread, they deserve no place in the game at all. It would be my personal opinion that DT Viewers should be permabanned until further notice. Such things, however, are difficult to detect in this type of setting. Oh well.
Super Judge Bro.

Post by Super Judge Bro. »

What makes you think that everyone reads the DT during the game? Once a round ends, it's pretty obvious that the rest of the living will go there and read it.
Played/Playing: 2
Round Wins: 1
Round Losses: 1
Lived through whole round: 2
Deaths: 0
Number of times I've failed: 4.
Ghaleon

Post by Ghaleon »

It happens. It just does. To think otherwise is kind of ignorant. Whether by accident or purpose it occurs.
Super Judge Bro.

Post by Super Judge Bro. »

Ghaleon wrote:It happens. It just does. To think otherwise is kind of ignorant. Whether by accident or purpose it occurs.
I realize that. But you're making it sound like everyone does.
Played/Playing: 2
Round Wins: 1
Round Losses: 1
Lived through whole round: 2
Deaths: 0
Number of times I've failed: 4.
Ghaleon

Post by Ghaleon »

I don't see anywhere in my post that I insinuated that everyone does it. I am just saying it occurs and I brought it up because DT's were mentioned.
EmaTheScienceSkye
Winner of AC 1#!

I did it once. I clicked the Next Topic link instead of the First Unread Posts link. I didn't see anything, though.
Blah.
Forcemaster

Post by Forcemaster »

If it weren't too much strain on Unas, we could have a dead forum, in which only dead players could enter anyways, to prevent any cheating at all.

But it would be too much trouble.
He robbed from the rich, and he gave to the poor
Stood up to the man, and gave him what for
Our love for him now, ain't hard to explain
The hero of Canton, the man they call Jayne
EmaTheScienceSkye
Winner of AC 1#!

That's more complicated than it sounds, Force.
Blah.