December 2012 - Lady Wolfenstein

The MotM is an interview that the team does at the end of each month. It's a fun way of finding out about respected members of the community.

Moderators: EN - Assistant Moderators, EN - Forum Moderators

Tap
Spoken languages: English

December 2012 - Lady Wolfenstein

Post by Tap »

Member of the Month
December 2012
Lady Wolfenstein (formerly Wolf Speaker)

I couldn't think of anything witty to say, I'm afraid. :(
This is the Member of the Month; an interview that I do at the end of each month. It's a fun way of finding out about respected
members of the community.

I personally select each month's Member of the Month. People are picked based on their contributions to the community, whether they are: making excellent trials, providing comic relief or just being a brilliant person. The next Member of the Month could be you!

If you have any questions about the Member of the Month system, please PM me.
2012 has been an exciting year of many new developments for the Ace Attorney Online community. We've seen some fantastic official news of Gyakuten Saiban 5 being developed, and the recent release of Professor Layton versus Ace Attorney. Closer to home, our trial community has spawned a series of fantastic trials, from Turnabout Pairs to Turnabout Tomorrow. And in return, we've seen a rising surge of new users, who have become devoted members of the community in many ways. One such member, is Lady Wolfenstein, a well-liked artist with her own thread in 'Your Art', and not to mention, this interviewer's wife. :wink:

Many of you have been guessing that the next Member of the Month would be her. Well, her turn has finally come, so get ready to ask all of your questions. =)
Tap: Hello, and welcome to the thirty-first Member of the Month interview, alternatively known as the Christmas interview.

Lady Wolfenstein: Hi! It's an honour to be here. :) Thanks so much for inviting me! What a way to end the year. Let's hope my ramblings are long enough for your 'newly-established format', Tap!
▬▬▬▬▬▬

Tap: Tell us about how you found AAO, and what made you want to join.

Lady Wolfenstein: I think I was looking for fan trials, or something of that sort. I'd checked out a lot of the featured ones and lurked a bit in their threads, but when I played Sirens, it made such a lasting impression on me, I just had to comment on it, so I joined up. :D I'd joined quite few forums before, so I guess I was comfortable enough with the people here. The sense of community really drew me in. AAO is smaller than the forums I was used to being on at that time, so the whole feeling of closeness was new to me. (My first forum was similar, but a lot of the users weren't very pleasant.) At first, I was mostly active in the trials forum, since I played a lot of fan trials and liked commenting on them. Then, as I got to know the members better, my focus was drawn to the general section. I used to read all the pages of the ToR that I missed during the nigh, every morning... I don't do that anymore. XD

Tap: Did you find AAO before Court-Records, or were you aware of the latter site and its... colourful forum before joining us?

Lady Wolfenstein: No, I actually know very little about CR, even now. I discovered AAO much earlier, though people often mentioned CR whenever I read up on AA-related things. I joined CR quite a while after AAO, but I have maybe two posts there. I dunno, something about the format isn't quite as appealing to me, and I've gotten used to the familiarity of AAO. I go to CR for their sprites, but since I don't sprite much, I still only visit the site very rarely.
▬▬▬▬▬▬

Tap: For the past couple of competitions, you've consistently entered into all of them, including the recent "Breakin' Da Rules" one hosted by Gumping'. Is this diligence a sign you wish to be more involved in the trial developing community

Lady Wolfenstein: I think it's more that I'd like to complete at least one serious trial. I'm a writer, but I don't have much motivation and I've never really completed a work before. I thought maybe a competition would boost me into working mode if I had to meet a deadline, but unfortunately there are the easier options of creating a comedy or just plain dropping out. I certainly would like to know the trial-making users of AAO better, though. I feel like I've been neglecting the forums lately... but between art, school, and personal stuff, my motivation's being stretched thin. (Not that I had much to begin with!) Still, even though it looks like this competition will end in another failure for me, I've resolved myself not to give up. Or, more exactly, to not let myself take the easy way out. I'm going to submit whatever I have, even if it's only a hundred frames. I wouldn't call it 'diligence', but I suppose I'm certainly stubborn, especially when it comes to things like this. xD

Tap: What sort of themes, genres and ideas appeal to you in a fancase? I've always adhered to the notion that one's case should be developed as if it is your own "ultimate" case, the one that beats everything else... :)

Lady Wolfenstein: Hmm... what would draw me most in a fancase would probably be good character interaction, especially for canon characters, with just a bit of a dark theme. I like exploring different characters' moralities, personalities, and pasts so I particularly enjoy fancases that try to delve into sides of a character that we don't see in canon. I like darker themes, but angst is not required (it's rarely pulled off well anyway), but not necessarily tragedies. I have this thing for morally ambiguous characters, for some reason, and I like seeing characters' darker sides... this may attract me to some cases, but it's no guarantee that I'll like them. I also value original and unique plots. Playing a canon-like case isn't very exciting for me. I love new ideas and concepts, like Blackrune's The Virtual Turnabout. A case often has to grab my attention straight away, or I'll lose interest in it quickly.
▬▬▬▬▬▬

Tap: Have you any plans or thoughts to share with us about any trials in development, or alternatively, a series spanning a number of cases, over-arching theme optional. ;)

Lady Wolfenstein: Oh, I've had many ideas. Most of them require too much custom material though, and I'm only slightly more productive when it comes to art. Sprites, backgrounds... I haven't given up on those plot bunnies, though, and when summer rolls around I might finally get a chance to work on all that. Let's see here... there are three series I definitely want to make and that I still think about from time to time, I've even picked out soundtracks and everything. One of them was originally going to be my serious trial entry for the trololol case competition, and I even made a still sprite for its main character. You've also glimpsed a character from my second series, if you remember, I had him as my avatar a couple of months back (drawn by AABattery). Finally, I haven't made anything for the third series, but it was the one I was considering entering into the current case competition; I changed my mind in the end, as it really would've involved too much custom content. Just so you get what I mean: the series takes place over three thousand years ago!

I've also got a collab series with Desmey (Detective Luke Atmey, for those unfamiliar with the name) all planned out. We've decided on the storylines for all five cases, and we've got characters and some music picked out already. The idea was originally for the previous case comp (the Never-Ending Turnabout), but we've expanded it beyond the deadline (obviously) and the rules/guidelines. Still, I don't know when I'll have time to really work on this all.
▬▬▬▬▬▬
Tap: For those who don't know, please tell us about your art, including your recent posting of many "Adoptables"!

Lady Wolfenstein: Wahh, I didn't know you followed my art thread. <3 Like I said before, I'm not really that productive when it comes to drawing, but I'm been improving lately. Adoptables, for those who don't know, are character designs that you sell or trade that are popular on deviantart. They've really boosted my productivity, as I love making and buying the little guys. I've even noticed a rather dramatic improvement in my drawing and colouring skills. Of course, it also helps me with designing. I've been thinking of taking all of the characters I've adopted so far and putting them in a story, and making a comic based on that. So far I've got two different worlds, though I haven't planned anything out very clearly yet. I'll let you guys know of any progress! If I go through with them, the comics will of course be posted here on AAO, in my art thread. /shamless advertising

Oh, and adoptables are also a potential source of income for me. You can sell them for cash, and with deviantart's new premium membership policy, you can even convert deviantart points into money. Auctions tend to go pretty high, and like I mentioned earlier, my skills are improving, so this is actually really convenient! I'm not doing it at all for money, though, of course. Still, it's a nice bonus to the whole thing.

Tap: Do you have any plans in the works to create a manga/comic series like the lovely AABattery has done with Legend of Zelda: Mystic Gaunlet?

Lady Wolfenstein: Yes, I do! ...Except I don't know when I'll ever get the chance to make them, since I'm so lazy. Comics are very difficult to make, especially since I don't have Photoshop. It's like the difficulties of drawing and writing all in one. Still, I have several storylines in mind already, some of them AA-related, so you might be seeing some of that.
▬▬▬▬▬▬

Tap: How did your talent with art, including spriting, start?

Lady Wolfenstein: Hmm. It's hard to say, though others have asked me this before. I started drawing when I was very little. I ended up copying mangas and other things I'd seen, and though the people around me always told me I was very good, I didn't actually develop an idea of my own style and what I wanted or liked to draw until a couple of years ago. It was only this year that I started to grasp anatomy and tried to draw fullbodies. I started spriting when I was about ten, though, on a Pokemon forum. I edited and played around with Pokemon sprites (which is something very common on the Internet), so I guess I had at least a little bit of knowledge of pixel art and art programs (Paint). I used a mouse for that though, so I guess you could say that my artistic development only really started when I got myself a tablet after being encouraged to do so by my then-new classmate and friend. My pace really picked up after that, with me posting my drawings on deviantart and doodling more and more in class when I was bored or had nothing to do. I actually believe that's the number one reason behind my improvement. Really! Since I doodle in all of my notebooks, I often flip through the pages of my math book and I see just how much I've improved by doing nothing more than sketching random characters or designs. Try it some time!
▬▬▬▬▬▬

Tap: Are there any other (sprite) artists in AAO that you like or inspire you? How about outside AAO, as well?

Lady Wolfenstein: Sure, I admire a lot of the spriters on AAO, even the ones who, if you'll excuse me for saying this, aren't the best in their field, if only because it's clear that they enjoy what they do--and they churn out so many sprites! I wish I had their motivation. I can never finish anything: fanfics, sprites, trials, I even have many unfinished drawings. I think it's great that these people can keep at it and put all their effort into what they do. Then there are also some of the really amazing artists, whom I admire for completely different reasons. I just wish I could commission them to make sprites for all the previous series I told you about. (That'd save me a lot of time... :XD:) Message to you all: don't stop spriting! Maybe one day I'll be able to be like you guys.
▬▬▬▬▬▬

Tap: Do you happen to have a favourite fan trial here on Ace Attorney Online?

Lady Wolfenstein: Why, Sirens, of course! XD It was the first trial that made me go through the welcome trouble of signing up on AAO just so I could comment on it (...wait, maybe it was to ask a question because I was stuck). I've discovered many other good ones since then, of course. For instance, Blackrune's Judgement Seekers series. There are also some I've been meaning to play, but haven't had the chance to yet.

Tap: Ahaha... XD What are your next five trials to play? And what is it about those five trials which appeal to your interests in the Ace Attorney series? ;)

Lady Wolfenstein: Hmm... I've been quite out of touch with AAO recently, particularly with the trial-making community. I was never very involved to begin with, though, to tell the truth. Emerging Legacies is still somewhere on my to-play list, and I have finish Zeta's A Turnabout Through Time (partly because I'm supposed to be the beta reader...), and then there's Turnabout Pairs and I Wanna Be the Turnabout, winner and runner-up of the trolling case competition, that I've heard are very good. Of course, to play Pairs I have to play Turnabout of Courage first, so... there are your five cases!
▬▬▬▬▬▬

Tap: Now let's talk about your personal life. What was your childhood like?

Lady Wolfenstein: Eh... I was actually a bit of a social recluse for half of my primary school years, after moving to a French school. I didn't fit in at all, and was one of the only Asians there. I clung to what little friends I had, and didn't go out at all. Can you believe that I didn't know who Lady Gaga was until around fifth grade? My father wasn't home often, and neither was my sister. Around that time I think I was going through an anime-crazy phase, and was quite the weaboo. Before all that, though... I don't remember much. xD I think I was happy enough when I was a really little kid, but like I said, I don't really recall much.

I was really awkward around people and didn't know how to interact with people my age, or of any age, really. I guess my personal development started when I began going online more. The barrier of anonymity and the impersonality (that's... not a word XD) of text made it much easier for me to communicate and express myself without having to be embarrassed. I remember I still thought boys were 'weird' and untrustworthy beings back then, though it might have been because most of the boys I knew at the time bullied me. I think it was due to all sorts of reasons, like me being an anglophone, an Asian, and generally 'lame' because of aforementioned inability to interact socially. I was really shy with most people but extroverted enough with my best friend. She was the one dragging me along everywhere, and I guess I just went along with whatever she did because I didn't have the guts to stand up for myself. Sometimes I hated her, but she was the only person I really had, and she did consider me an important friend. We're still besties today, though... truth to be told, I don't really ever feel like talking to her. Still, I'd hate to break our friendship... it's a strange feeling. But I guess it's okay like this. I was dependent on her for everything. I slowly grew out of it though, and by the end of sixth grade (last grade of primary school here) I'd actually made sort-of friends with some of the more 'popular' kids and both my bestie and I had made a couple of good friends that we're still in contact with today.

Tap: You're going to have to tell us about your 'French school' now, or rather life living in Quebec! Do you find yourself shifting between French and English, or do you mainly speak French during the day? :)

Lady Wolfenstein: I speak French with almost everybody, except one of my friends who I speak English with, for no real reason. I think in English though, and I speak English to my family as well. I shift between languages very often though. I'll usually use French when out in the city, but sometimes I forget and switch to English after a while. Of course, practically everyone here's bilangual so they respond in kind. xD When I'm nervous, though, English is easier for me to use. I have a better grasp of it, I suppose, and... to tell the truth, ever since I got my Invisalign, whether it's caused it or not, I've noticed that my enunciation in French isn't the best... it's quite embarrassing to me, actually. And since I think in English, I also can think of wittier/funnier things to say in English than in French.

Tap: Oh, you think in English? How interesting! I never thought to ask Ping' back when I was working on his Mo26D...
▬▬▬▬▬▬

Tap: That brings me to my next question. What is your average day like?

Lady Wolfenstein: Oh, wake up at an ungodly hour, eat breakfast in ten minutes, take the bus, sleep, take the metro, sleep, take the bus again, sleep, arrive at school, go through the day's classes, go home (with all the sleeping), loaf around on Internet, eat supper, procrastinate for a couple of hours, do my homework in a rush, go shower, come back secretly to surf the Internet once more, then sleep probably later than I should. Yep. I'd say there's very little variety in my daily routine, but sadly I'm one of those people who cling to regularity and become very fidgety and anxious in situations I'm not used to. Of course, I've just moved to downtown, so that unbalances my routine a little bit, but not that much.
▬▬▬▬▬▬

Tap: What are your plans for the future?

Lady Wolfenstein: I... don't know, actually. Right now I have too many interests, but I'm not sure if I really know about any of them. I love writing and drawing, that's for sure, but I don't know if I'm capable of writing novels, and that's a very difficult job anyway and it'd probably be a side job if I ever became an author. I'm really bad at sitting down and planning things, you know? I think I'm better at character-driven pieces. I love world-building and I always come up with colourful characters and settings, only to be stuck at writing the actual plot. And I don't see how I could be an artist. There's no way I'll be able to make comics, and my style is too strangely manga-ish to be on most book covers or illustrations... I've thought about the video game industry, but I don't know what I can do there either. I like designing things (as my adoptables show), but I feel like I can never just get the perfect design right. Like, I'll have an idea of the general 'feel' I want my character to have, but I'm never satisfied with what I can come up with. It's never just right. I could try writing the stories, maybe, but truth to be told I'm very shallow (I'm fifteen, there's my excuse) and I don't feel confident in tackling serious and/or real life issues without sounding either stupid or patronizing. Writing good stories is such a tricky business, and whatever you do, some people will dislike your work anyway.

On a completely unrelated note, I also love history and psychology. I like things related to people or society. I like understanding things: why and how people act, the subtle undercurrents of things, the psychology and motives behind seemingly innocuous things. How society works. Understanding people and their conscious and unconscious actions. I just like how history makes sense, as silly as it sounds. Like, you don't need to memorize the whole lot of facts, because that's not what's important. Every action has its own history, its own reasons driving it, and then it's a chain of events, an interlaced web of past and present and what people think is the future, all looped up together and advancing all the while. The political, economical, cultural, social facets, all existing and influencing others simultaneously on different planes... I dunno, it's extremely fascinating to me. I told you, I love convoluted stuff, right? In entertainment, I enjoy what people would consider mind... break. So yeah. The problem is, I don't think I can go anywhere with this. Being a historian or history teacher... not my thing. I just like studying it, hearing about it, I suppose, or maybe I don't know enough about different careers to know what I want. I'd consider psychologist, but at this point I have really no idea.
▬▬▬▬▬▬
Tap: Any plans to travel anywhere? Say, maybe... Australia? :wink: :wink:

Lady Wolfenstein: My friend keeps on nagging me to go. :X And I would love to, except for the part where the flight is about 18 hours long and I have terrible, terrible airsickness. I would probably die before I reached Australia, or at least be sick for like a month afterwards (I actually didn't eat for nearly six days when I went to China because I was so sick, though that was a combination of factors). I'm going to Spain and Portugal on a school trip during the coming spring break, though. I visited my sister in Oxford last year, and went to London and Paris. It was inexplicably cool to just hear the accents around you... the trip still made me throw up, though. I suppose I'll go to Japan one day, but I actually want to go on a European tour. For no valid reason, I want to go to Slovenia. I have little desire to go to any tropical regions for vacation, strangely enough, or to the USA in general, though it would be nice to discover a little more about it, I suppose. First, though, I should focus on visiting all of Canada first! I haven't been to the west side of it yet.
▬▬▬▬▬▬

Tap: Which is your favourite Ace Attorney game?

Lady Wolfenstein: Well, I've never played JFA, and the copy of T&T that I borrowed from my friend was in French, which rather... warped my enjoyment of it, so I'm not really sure. I loved AJ, but out of all the character storylines I definitely like T&T's best, but I don't know how good the actual presentation of everything was in that game since I was so busy trying to translate everything they were saying into English because it sounded too weird in French... Still, I really loved the whole Dahlia-Phoenix thing. Seeing younger Phoenix, Edgeworth, and even Mia was an added bonus and character-wise I think it was the best game. There were no cases or characters I really disliked, and the plot and mystery were epic. I really love convoluted stuff, inexplicably. Another thing I loved about it was the Phoenix/Edgeworth/Larry interaction, and delving into certain characters' pasts. I liked the first game too, but apart from the last case it wasn't very plot-driven, especially case three. Rise of the Ashes is among my absolute favourite cases though, I loved practically everything about it.

Tap: You've... never played JFA!? Why are you talking to me, then!? Go and grab a copy, aha! It has one of the best cases of all time -- Farewell, my Turnabout. And 2-2 is nothing to scoff at either! But to expand on something... do you play games mainly in English? Do you happen to find versions in LOTE (languages other than english) provide a different gameplay experience?

Lady Wolfenstein: ...I asked my mother to order it online from Amazon for me, and you know what she did? She somehow managed to buy me the first game instead, despite the cover arts being completely different. And I already had the first game. Yep.

I've only ever played games in English and in French... the copy of HeartGold my mother got me for Christmas a couple of years back was also in French, and god was it horrible. That's what happens when you try to translate every Pokemon-related term and name. I played T&T in French, too. Except it was very French, as in French from France, and had all these weird expressions mixed in and the names were all weird. Still, I guess it all depends on what we're used to. Come to think of it, all the games I've ever played were originally in Japanese. I think language is important, because the slightest difference in syntax, vocabulary or style of speech can alter your perception or understanding of a character. This is hard to grasp unless you're fluent in both languages, but I can tell you that French AA people did not come across the exact same way to me. Some things are better said in one language or another.
▬▬▬▬▬▬

Tap: What other games do you really like?

Lady Wolfenstein: Hmm... there's the rest of the Pokemon series, and then the Devil Survivor series that I'm obsessed with, especially Devil Survivor 1 Overclocked. Kicarus and The World Ends With You (TWEWY) are also among my favourites. Then there's Final Fantasy: 4 Heroes of Light, Okami/den, Kingdom Hearts 3D, The Legend of Zelda games for DS and 3DS, and League of Legends. I also love the Persona series, except... I haven't actually played it. xD I'm a major fan of RPGs and games that let you choose you own path. I tend to like darker stories.
▬▬▬▬▬▬

Tap: What was the first video game you ever played?

Lady Wolfenstein: My mom bought me Pokemon Emerald in reward of my good performance in my first national music competition, the CMC (Canadian Music Competition; I played the piano for a few years), where I unexpectedly made it to the finals despite having played piano for not even a full year. Strangely, you could say that that was a key event in my life: it influenced almost all of my interests later on. It got me into Pokemon (I'm still a big fan of the video games), which led me to my very first online forum. I learned a lot about social interaction on that site, and I made friends with older people for the first time. I guess it got me out of my shell, though I was always stuck on my computer from then on, so you could say it also started my Internet addiction. I interacted with people more, I learned to get over my crippling shyness, I discovered a bit of life outside my own sheltered and childish one, I became more extroverted and learned to show friendliness, and basically learned social interaction, which I used to be pretty terrible at (I didn't know what was 'lame' or not, what you didn't say, how to say things, I was generally very awkward). I started spriting, writing fanfiction, and even RPing on that site, though predictably I was horrendous at all three (hey, I was ten). Well, I suppose my spriting wasn't that bad, but standards for Pokemon sprite edits aren't really high. Still, it kickstarted a lot of things I do today, and I think that though I would've discovered those interests eventually, it would have taken me a lot longer. And you know, video games are really good for training your English! Pokemon is surprisingly good at teaching you more advanced vocabulary (no seriously; 'elixir', 'astonish', 'feint', 'pursuit', and 'stockpile' are still words that I doubt most people in my class even know, let alone know how to spell them correctly). So yeah, I've often thought that my getting Pokemon Emerald was an extremely important event in my life.
▬▬▬▬▬▬

Tap: We're nearing the end. Do you have any other interests?

Lady Wolfenstein: Anime, though lately I've kind of lost interest in it. I've read a couple of manga, though, and surprisingly, I've watched TV series such as Sherlock and Merlin. I used to really not be into real people shows, haha. This started out quite early on, and I went through the 11 year-old weaboo stage just like all the others... it's quite embarrassing to recall, actually. Most of the fanfiction I've written was for anime. You can also easily tell the influence it's had on me by my drawing style, which is pretty darn shoujo. I really prefer shounens though, or at least something more action-oriented. I like dark and psychological stories and place a great deal of importance on character development though, so most modern shounens don't do it for me anymore either. Still, I love One Piece, and Magi is one of my favourite mangas of all time.

Apart from anime, reading also used to be a huge hobby of mine. It's waned a bit (thanks to the Internet), but I'm still an avid reader and I read more quickly than my classmates (which... isn't something anything at all). I love fantasy. The first series I really fell in love with was The Immortals by Tamora Pierce. Her books set just the right kind of fantasy atmosphere and feeling for me, and inspired a lot of my own work.
▬▬▬▬▬▬

Tap: As always, I include a question about politics. As you live in French Canada, or Quebec to be more precise, how do you feel about Parti Québécois, a political party which advocates national sovereignty for the province of Quebec and secession from Canada. Should Quebec secede, and show those English Canadians how truly arrogant they are? :wink:

Lady Wolfenstein: I'm definitely against separation. I don't really like getting into this subject, since it's very complex and basically goes back to the roots of society, all the way back to the colonial days. I'm not the most patriotic person you'll ever meet, but I'm definitely fond of Canada and I'm proud to be a citizen. Sure, equality is important, but I don't think the francophones are getting discriminated against anymore. There's the whole job/business thing, but do they really think that by 'promoting' the French language and basically letting English drop, they're doing anyone any favours? That's just a dumb idea. No matter how you look at it, English is THE international language right now. I swear all the Chinese youngsters (that's a huge chunk of the world's population) are trying to learn it, and it's even a sign of status and/or culture in certain poorer countries. The people here in Quebec have the chance to be practically born bilingual, so why would you take that advantage away from them?

Not only that, I don't see why Quebec should get any preferential treatment. Seriously, asking to be more important than the other provinces? There's no way to justify that. I don't even understand why you would want to separate. There's already such a great rift between Quebec and the western provinces. From an economic point of view, there's no way a separation would be advantageous. Let's not even forget the millions of allophones and anglophones who would leave immediately. The consequences of that would be huge. It might also drive away foreign companies and such.

Yes, so Harper is an idiot and Ottawa is basically ignoring us when we ask for their help. (I can't explain the story in full detail, since I'm not exactly very politically active, but some of the recent stuff is this: our bridges are on the verge of collapse. It's extremely unsafe to travel on them right now, but apparently Ottawa has ignored and neglected to help us repair them or something. Also Quebecers hate Harper.) And I've met an independentist (a friend of my bestie, actually) who doesn't care one whit what happens to the other provinces and said to me, 'What have they ever done for Quebec?' I find this unacceptable. Because really? I don't think I need to explain myself. I'm not blaming anyone, especially since I don't have a lot of the facts, but Quebec has already created a LOT of problems for itself, and from what I've heard online, it's considered by the rest of the country to be the Canada's rear-hole, if you know what I mean. One of my friends from school even calls it the worst province.

See, my family is thinking of moving to Toronto, Ontario, because they think the anglophone atmosphere (and the cheap price and high quality of the Chinese food...) would be beneficial to us. I personally don't want to go, since Montreal is my home, where I was born and raised, but I guess this kind of stuff is why a lot of Quebecers hold resentment towards immigrants and anglophones in general. Oh... hmm. I just realized that a lot of you probably don't know much about this kind of issue and that I've most likely not explained it as clearly as I think I have...

Basically, when Canada (which was basically just Quebec at the time) first became British, the Brits tried to assimilate the French Canadians. Laws were passed and norms were imposed. The FCs held strong though, and refused to let go of their culture. They were discriminated against and for a long, long time, anglophones received highly preferential treatment for anything. Anglophones were the richer and higher class and had access to education and business, whereas the francophones were exploited as 'cheap labour' and a lot of them remained poor and ignorant farmers, even though they were by far the majority. So you can say that animosity towards the English has always been very present in our society. Then lots of stuff happened. I won't delve into the details since nobody will want to read it and it's likely to evolve into a full-blown history lesson, since I love history. Basically, political tensions with Ottawa coupled with centuries-old animosity and a very real diminishing of the French language... these are some of the main reasons Quebec governments of the past started getting into this whole independence thing.

I truly think that secession would solve nothing and only serve to fuel the resentment and widen the rift between anglophones and francophones. It's such a waste, really, and since we francophones ARE a minority, it's very rare for the western provinces especially to be able to see things from our points of view. There are so many things going on here that outsiders don't see, and I have to admit that I'm one of them, though I guess since I live here I've had to pick up on the basics. For example: the recent student strike. The western provinces thought we were crazy for going on strike and making such a huge deal of the matter when it seemed to them that the raise was of minimal importance. There were a lot of other reasons for it too, though, and well, let's just say that corruption has been a GIGANTIC problem here for a long, long time (if you look closely enough at our history, you'll realize it goes wayyyyy back...)

Also... you know how tiny Canada's population is, compared to its immense territory, right? Well, that population is even tinier if you separate it into each province. A lot of nationalists feel that their culture is being threatened by the large waves of immigrants, which causes a whole bunch of other problems.

Anyway... I've blabbered on enough for now. I for one really didn't want the PQ to win, though (but to be fair, there were no good or even 'lesser evil' candidates), but that was mainly because I didn't want to deal with all the issues that would inevitably come up if they did. As an English-preferring, second-generation immigrant who's somewhat secluded in her lifestyle though, I'm not sure I can say I'm unbiased or that I can speak for the 'majority/normal' Quebecers. I'm not really into the, er, 'mainstream' (for lack of a better term) francophone community, if you know what I mean. I'm not involved in the same stuff and I definitely don't have the same viewpoint... ah well. Let's end this here before I start rambling again.
▬▬▬▬▬▬

Tap: And one more question... Who is this other husband you're cheating on me with, Wolfy!? I saw the Facebook post, "YOU AND YOUR HUSBAND OTP KAWAII UGUUU LOVE YOU BOTH"!!!!!!!!!

Lady Wolfenstein: That was you, silly! xD I told her a bit about the people here on AAO, since she plays LoL with some of them... yeah, she ships us hard now. I would never cheat on you (no matter how much Ike or anybody else tries to hit on me).

Tap: R-Really!? Does she know we're friends on Facebook? :XD:

Lady Wolfenstein: Yes... she asks about you from time to time. Seriously.

Tap: You'll have to tell her 'Bonjour' from me next time, then. :wink:
▬▬▬▬▬▬

Tap: Before we conclude this interview, do you have anything else you'd like to say?

Lady Wolfenstein: Hmm... a late merry/happy Christmas to you all, and a happy New Year! Never stop being awesome, guys. This place is like a home to me, even if I haven't been active recently. You might be tired of hearing it, but you're definitely the best, most close-knit community I've ever seen. I've never gotten along with so many people. I feel like I've grown too, knowing you guys. So thanks for accepting me for the way I am and befriending me. It means a lot to me. I've told you guys a lot about me that I've never told anyone else and I want you to know that even my visits to AAO become sparse due to schoolwork or other things, I think of you guys often and I definitely consider you guys friends. Special thanks especially to one of you who went through the trouble of sending me a Christmas present. You're Mr. Awesomest Guy Ever for the next three months.

And I want to thank you, Tap, for picking me for December's MotM, even though I haven't done anything noteworthy at all. So yeah. See you guys, sorry for rambling on about history of the poutine province and stuff, and thank you all!
kwando1313
Spoken languages: English, Français (un peu), Ancient Belkan

Re: Member of the Month: December 2012

Post by kwando1313 »

Congrats Wolfy!

You totally had the hardest riddle ever! :p

Also... Ewwwwww Quebec. Pourquoi habites-tu au Quebec? Pourquoi tu n'habites pas au Columbia Brittanique? :p

Err... I can't think of anything to ask atm... Sooo.... You'll have to make do with this for now. :/

"The Knight of the Iron Hammer, Vita, and the Steel Count, Graf Eisen. There's nothing in this world we can't destroy."
energizerspark

Post by energizerspark »

Yay, you won!
Do you like robots?
Do you like raspberry pie?
this signature has been left as it was when I left the forum for archival purposes
Currently watching:
Steven Universe
Currently playing:
Currently reading:
the avatar is from Urusei Yatsura in case you were wondering
The Fury Wraith
Spoken languages: English, Dutch

Post by The Fury Wraith »

Congratulations, Sniper Wolf! :D

Now I have to ask... Of all the nicknames people have given to you, which is your personal favourite?
Case made by me: Turnabout Retribution
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Can you go get and play JFA right now? It is the best in the AA series after all ;P

Grats.
FenrirDarkWolf

Post by FenrirDarkWolf »

Congrats Wolfy!
AKABuddyFaithAKADiego
Spoiler : Wanted to use these as avatars, but it wouldn't let me. They're by Nibroc-Rock :
Blackrune
Spoken languages: English, German, Japanese

Post by Blackrune »

Congratz, Wolfspeaker.

I wish you best of luck with finishing your trial, or any other project.

Psychological anime. But sometimes something like Magi mixed in for fun. Yeah, that sounds approvable.
DWaM

Post by DWaM »

Congrats, Wolf!
GuardianDreamer
Spoken languages: English, Spanish

Post by GuardianDreamer »

Congratulations, Ulf. I see you're well on your way in becoming a great strategist. Being romantically involved with someone with authority opens up many possibilities, you see, and resources that are useful in conducting strategies. And of course genuine love mixed in with that makes it even better. You see, they say love is the most powerful force in the universe, so harnessing it into a weapon will be great. ... In any case, favorite songs?
Hosted The Year of Luigi competition (and here's the awards ceremony).
Current AAO projects (to be completed eventually, probably, hopefully): A Silly Little Dream (hopefully 2024), My Dearest Direst Disgrace (hopefully 2025)
Stuff I've made on here: QotU
Make My Life Worse
Malleus Maleficarum: The Witch of San Ignacio
The Six Transgender Lesbian Goddesses of Love Are Having A Petty Argument, So They Try To Settle Things Alongside The Three Transgender Gay Gods of Flavor
Defend Him, Not Me!
The Guardian and the Dreamer
I was a guest judge and did a bit of writing for the TICKING TIME BOMB competition.
My Twitter is here
Avatar is of Marth from Fire Emblem, commissioned from @PiyoStoria on Twitter.
FenrirDarkWolf

Post by FenrirDarkWolf »

So...
Wolves, yes?
AKABuddyFaithAKADiego
Spoiler : Wanted to use these as avatars, but it wouldn't let me. They're by Nibroc-Rock :
Meph

Post by Meph »

Yay! Great interview!

Now being French, surely you've been to Disneyland Paris? :D Then again, you don't like travelling, but maybe Walt Disney World?
kwando1313

Post by kwando1313 »

But Meph... Wolfy is Canadian. >_>

"The Knight of the Iron Hammer, Vita, and the Steel Count, Graf Eisen. There's nothing in this world we can't destroy."
Meph

Post by Meph »

I was hoping no one would post before I corrected that mistake. :P I meant to say "French".
kwando1313

Post by kwando1313 »

That certainly would make a lot more sense...

enigma
Spoken languages: miaou

Post by enigma »

Congrats, Wolf.