[T][CE] Phantasmagoria of Betrayal ●

Find and discuss trials made by other members and showcase your own trials.

Moderators: EN - Forum Moderators, EN - Trial Reviewers

Ferdielance
Spoken languages: English

[T][CE] Phantasmagoria of Betrayal ●

Post by Ferdielance »

A man's life is but the tiniest kakera of an unfathomable eternity.
What good or ill he does vanishes like sands in the desert wind, lost amongst all the other sands.
And like the sands of the desert, we too must face our mortality.

Let us meet in a place where there is no hope, no sanity, no redemption.

From the minds of Agatha Christie Ferdie Lance and Father Ronald Knox Enthalpy comes the long-awaited finale of George Orwell's dystopian trilogy.
What Orwell began with 1984, and continued with 1984 II: 1985, these legends of mystery conclude in:

(click to play)
Links to individual parts:

Prologue
Trial
Finale

Important technical notes:

* Firefox only! No, really! This case does not work in Chrome. I don't just mean that "fades won't work." I mean that you may find yourselves staring at a blank screen instead of cutscenes in a few places!

* There has been a report of a bug in this case that blocks the "go to next part" function from working. There are three parts to this case. If you have encountered a bug that prevents you from going to the next part, please notify Enthalpy and Ferdielance so that we can investigate the cause of the bug and get you a link to the next part of the case. Thank you.

* This case is only playable in v6, as its engines rely on v6's speed. There is a bug in v6 that makes it annoying to select evidence occasionally, so you may need to use a mouse scroll-wheel or the down arrow key to actually click the select button. Apologies for this!

* If the sound fails to load entirely, try a refresh. If that doesn't work, you may have to grin and bear it - occasionally one song or one sound effect will be missing. (Strangely, we don't lose more than that.)

* Some people report a variable bug, or worse, when saving and restoring. I'm adding a password system to address this as a workaround shortly.

* Pre-loading is STRONGLY recommended.

Other notes:

* The Prologue can be gotten through pretty quickly if you skip lots of stuff, but that's not what it's for. If you want to get the most out of it, explore the possibilities! See how far you can flashback! Flash your badge at people! Try weird items in the inventory puzzle!

* There is an uncredited image in the case that we're still trying to find the source for. It's the one with a lighthouse at night and Edgeworth! I edited it heavily and lost the original file, so a reverse image search failed. But it's not our intention to grab stuff off Google Image search without crediting it, and I'm still looking! I must have found it SOMEWHERE. If anyone recognizes it, can they please PM me?

* I mostly wrote the prologue, the frame story, and the majority of the finale, and Enthalpy mostly wrote the trial proper. But we had quite a bit of back-and-forth about ideas, so hopefully the parts blend together.

* Enjoy! Enthalpy wrote some hints in the form of InvisiClues, which I supplemented.
Invisiclues for Phantasmagoria of Betrayal
SPOILERS AHEAD!
General notes on Invisiclues:

* Invisiclues were originally created by Infocom as hint booklets for the puzzles in their computer games. They were originally adapted to AAO cases by Ferdielance, but this set is written by Enthalpy. (Except for the brief "Part One" and "Part Three" sections.)

* These Invisiclues are designed to give you exactly the help you need, and no more than that. Each question contains a set of spoiler-tagged clues.

* To use these clues without spoiling your fun, please only open the clues you need. Try opening a clue, then wrestling with the puzzle a little more, then opening the next clue!

* Since the questions themselves may imply spoilers, I have laced each section with fake questions and clues so that you don't accidentally wreck the mystery for yourself. Don't assume that every question in the clue set is relevant - only go to the questions you need!

General Hints about the Case:

Q: Does this case follow Knox's Decalogue?
Spoiler : A1: :
Honestly, I think that's a rather silly question to ask of a fancase.
Spoiler : A2: :
Knox's Decalogue was created by the detective novel author, Father Roland Knox as a set of rules to govern the writing of detective novels. In his paradigm, detective novels were adversarial - the author's wits were matched against the reader's. The reader won if he solved the crime before the detective, and the author won if the reader could solve the crime, but did not.
Spoiler : A3: :
The purpose of the Decalogue was to eliminate any tricks that would be impossible for the reader to solve. Who, for instance, would come up with "identical twins" as part of their solution if no clues had been given to their existence? The rest of the Decalogue follows in this fashion - its purpose is to make the mystery solvable.
Spoiler : A4: :
But Knox's paradigm doesn't translate into Ace Attorney. Here, the game is not a battle of wits between the author and the reader, but the player trying to solve each miniature puzzle that the author presents, and the author is trying to make each individual miniature puzzle fairly solvable while still reasonably difficult. The Ace Attorney author is not honor-bound to make the overall mystery solvable before the attorney goes through the process of reasoning. If anything, the author wants that to not be the case, as it would be boring otherwise!
Spoiler : A5: :
And because of that, Knox's Decalogue doesn't apply. The player ought not be concerned with whether the overall mystery is fair, but whether the individual puzzles are fair! If so, the mystery should also be solvable, but not in the way detective novels are. And yes, the individual puzzles are fair.
Part One: Prologue

Q: Is it actually possible to answer the copy protection correctly? Are there special responses?
Answering correctly unlocks developer commentary.
You cannot find the answer by playing this case... but you don't need to look at the source.
That is to say, it is possible to find the special password to this case - and not just by asking me. Yet neither I nor Enthalpy put it into our case, and nobody else edited it.
What a mystery! Maybe you need to think outside the box.
Hmm... if you're stuck, you might as well just play something else for a while.
Spoiler : A6: :
So, how's that comp judging going?
Q: How do I find the key to the boat shack?
What key to the boat shack?
This prologue has very few puzzles, actually. There's no key hunting.
Q: What's the answer to the Charades game?
The first word has something to do with feeling sorry... guilt?
And the second word has to do with affection. Love. So Guilty Love.
Q: I can't escape from this weird loop!
Try thinking until you get to Iris/Dahlia again...
Then double back to Godot, and choose to give in to the madness.
I hope you had Mercy Mode turned on!
Q: How can I get Ema to give me the fingerprinting powder back?
You may want to ask her nicely.
Offer Snackoos...
...but be ready to run away.
She has quite a throwing arm.
Q: How do I treat this injured patient?
First, you need to get antibiotics on the wound. Ointment can be found in Maya's pouch if you open it.
You'll need to find an applicator for the antibiotic gel. Search around in Maya's robe.
You'll also need a bandage, but you don't have any ready-made.
Try cutting a bandage out of something using the knife.
You can use the safety pin to hold the bandage on.
Steps: Search the robe, open the pouch, apply the ointment to the swab, use the swab on the pigeon, cut the robe with the knife, use the strip of robe on the pigeon, and then use the safety pin.
Spoiler : A7: :
When surgery begins, click on the swab icon, then click on the wound until it clears up. If you wait, it'll bleed more and you'll need to clean it more.
Spoiler : A8: :
Then click the bandage icon and click on the X's that appear on the pigeon, one by one.
Spoiler : A9: :
To give CPR, wait for the countdown to finish, then click on the beak to give rescue breathing. Wait for the next countdown, and click on the chest. Repeat.
Q: Why won't it let me type my answer to that question about the code?
Don't worry, it'll work out eventually.
Q: How do I beat the Thought Route?
...try all the answers?
Q: What do I need to do in Phoenix's office?
His chores. Check the answering machine, water Charley, and search the bookshelf.
Part Two: Trial

Q: What was all that the narrator said right before the first cross-examination?
First off, in order to find any contradiction, you must rely on the author's hints. Apparently, Phoenix had to make some leaps in logic to find some of those contradictions... Also, because making a mistake would net you an instant penalty, the narrator instead opted to remove them. How nice.
Although... Come to think of it, having massive penalties is just like having no penalties at all, since the player will just refresh.
WITNESS ONE

WITNESS ONE, TESTIMONY ONE:

Q: I've gotten nowhere with this testimony. What do I do?
Looking at the Narrator's hints, the contradiction must either have something to do with Gumshoe's line about a small building, or how high up the window is. Which seems more worthwhile to pursue?
Gumshoe hasn't said anything about the windows, so better focus on the statement about a small building. If you replace "small building" with "one-room building," does anything change?
Hmm... Does anything in the Court Record talk about the Perfect Locked Room and the number of rooms it had?
Present the Perfect Locked Room at "She was in a small, empty building, the weapon by her side."
Q: ... Did that seriously just... Can I have a minute?
Sure!
(Wait, you actually think prosecutors forging evidence is a problem?)
Q: Okay, second contradiction. What do?
Weeding out irrelevant and already used Narrator hints, it looks like the key is to attack from how high the window is!
It also helps that the contradiction is on the added statement.
Look at the statement, then look at what the Narrator said, and the contradiction is easy to see. But how do you present it?
Present the Perfect Locked Room at "The room had small windows. We think Pearl escaped that way."
Q: ... ... Can I have another minute?
Sure!
Okay, moving on now.
Q: Third contradiction. Help!
Stop looking at fake hints!
Now you may ask, what is the point of having The Narrator have to give you hints for the contradiction to work?
Well, in most poorly written contradictions, the contradictions make sense to the author because they wrote them and know the extra information not written in the Court Record. But the player is helpless. They're not mindreaders.
You'd have to ask the author for hints, for that extra bit of information, to make a fair puzzle. Get it?
Q: Now this is just ridiculous.
Reading fake hints? Sure is!
Why do you do this to me...?
WITNESS ONE, TESTIMONY TWO:

Q: First contradiction, what is it?
Sir Not-Appearing-In-This-Case
However, I'll take the chance to explain a bit about what I was thinking when I developed the concept for this part.
This part was always intended to be the primary parody for cases with poorly done mysteries. In my eyes, there are two cardinal sins that authors commit here. The first is the sin of letting the character get ahead of the player. This happens whenever it is expected that the player has made some deduction when they haven't. Names shall not be named, but in one prime example, the character comes to the conclusion that another character was an accessory to the murder without any input from the player. Names shall not be named, but this is not good design.
The second big one is forcing the player to come to an unfair conclusion, leaps in logic, and this is what Ferdielance's tutorial adaptation of Nelson's bill of player rights is all about. A player cannot possibly solve the puzzle if they are not given all the information on how to do so. This could range from information being missing to some pertinent fact being unclear for the player. Again, names shall not be named, but in one example, a player is expected to recognize a certain name as belonging to a character from one of Edgar Allen Poe's short story. Recognizing it isn't reasonable; it's bad design.
Q: CAN YOU STOP THIS ALREADY?!
Can YOU stop looking in fake hints?!
Q: Second contradiction, please.
Just move on to the next witness!
I wanted to parody both of those. The first did not lend itself well to parody, but I eventually found a way to get to it. I will talk about that one when the time comes.
But this second option gave me far more material to work with!
The possibilities for parodying leaps in logic are pretty much endless, come to think of it. It's just a matter of doing it well.
Q: HOW COULD YOU?!?!!?!??
Make this many fake hints? I don't even know.
Q: Alright, third contradiction! Let's do this!
You should be ashamed for even reading this.
Now, there's another difficulty involved. In satirizng bad gameplay design, I had to make sure that the gameplay design itself was fair. Otherwise, I'd be just as guilty as the people I was writing about.
The idea of the Narrator hints came from that, but the similarities between what you would have to do to an unfair mystery to make it fair is what sold me on the idea.
So sit back and relax. It's contradiction time, now!
WITNESS TWO

WITNESS TWO, TESTIMONY ONE

Q: What is my general approach to this one going to be?
Well, there are multiple orders in which you can find contradictions, so I'm going to arbitrarily assign contradictions to numbers.
Contradiction one gets you something cold.
Contradiction two gets you information about buildings.
Contradiction three updated the results of a chemical test.
Contradiction four does not exist.
Q: Contradiction one, let's go!
This contradiction uses the information about how you can always see into Iris's Room. Are there any Narrator hints or statements that seem relevant to that?
Well, we know that Iris ran crying into her room, but later left. We also know that Polly would see Iris crying if she at all could...
Putting it together, what should Polly have seen, and what she have done if she saw it?
Present Iris's Room at "She sent Mystic Iris into her room, crying! I heard her weeping myself! Fled to the locked room later!"
Q: Contradiction two, I shall find you!
This contradiction uses that 16 drams is 33 gumballs. Anything seem relevant?
We know that Iris bought Pearl about 16 drams of gumballs, according to Pearl. Can we combine that with our old information?
So, Iris bought Pearl 33 gumballs, according to Polly. Based on what else we know about the gumballs from the narrator, and a certain piece of evidence, can we show that Iris didn't buy Pearl 33 gumballs?
Present the Bloody Receipt at "Iris bought Pearly 16 drams of gumballs! The ingrate didn't like 'em!"
Q: Contradiction three, mine shall ye be!
This contradiction uses that wielding the Shichishichishito would use blood. How can we connect this to other facts?
Based on the testimony, didn't somebody wield the Shichishichishito?
So, Pearl used the Shichishichishito, but using the sword spills blood on the sword. What should we expect to find about the sword? What do we find?
Present the Shichishichishito at "Iris just sits as Pearl takes the sword and cuts her down!"
Q: Contradiction four...!
I'm bored.
Q: How do I convince the judge to let the trial go on.
Trial and error always helped me.
In other words, click everything.
WITNESS TWO, TESTIMONY TWO

Q: What is my general approach to this one going to be?
Well, there are multiple orders in which you can find contradictions, so I'm going to arbitrarily assign contradictions to numbers.
Contradiction one might be familiar to any Australians.
Contradiction two WAS fortunate for Iris. Now it isn't.
Contradiction three is an oddly specific denial.
Contradiction four gets you something cold.
Q: Testimony one! Contradiction search!
This contradiction uses the information that the blood pool was in a corner. Are there any Narrator hints or statements that seem relevant to that?
Well, Polly places the blood pool by the body. Combine logic...
And this places the body in the corner of the room. Nothing contradictory there, right?
Present Blood Pool at "They come in, see the blood pooling by the body..."
Q: Testimony two! A contradiction beyond the evidence?!
This contradiction uses that you contradict another person's opinion in the testimony. Anything stand out?
The police think Pearl is suspicious, and the town thinks Pearl made Iris suffer. Can we contradict either of those?
Yes, we can! One of those directly contradicts the Court Record!
Present the Autopsy Report at "They think she made her suffer, so they call the cops!"
Q: Testimony three! RAGING HEART!
This contradiction is the first to use that we're raising an alternate explanation. What is there in here that we can give an alternate explanation for?
We could find an alternate explanation for why the town was upset, why the police were called, or why Pearl was taken by the police.
Final hint, this one also uses that the town was mad about Hazakura! Does this pose an alternate solution to anything?
Present the Entire Town's Affidavit at "After Pearly killed her, I heard people getting upset! At her!"
Q: Testimony four! Having fun in the sunshine... or grimdark if you prefer.
This contradiction is the first to use that we're raising an alternate explanation. What is there in here that we can give an alternate explanation for?
We could find an alternate explanation for why the town was upset, why the police were called, or why Pearl was taken by the police.
Final hint, this one uses that Gumshoe likes kids! Does this pose an alternate solution to anything?
Present the Police Report at "Police take her away because they think she's suspicious! Put her under arrest immediately!"
Q: What's this "one piece of evidence"?
Looked at the Court Record lately? One piece of evidence should be extremely strange.
Check the evidence descriptions...
Isn't certain evidence incomplete?
It's the Attorney's Badge!
WITNESS THREE

WITNESS THREE, TESTIMONY ONE

Q: Contradiction one?
... You REALLY need a hint? Okay, well you asked for it... Open the next hint. If you dare.
We know that there has to be a contradiction in this fiendishly long testimony. But we also know because of its length that this contradiction has to be...
-> Hard to find [Contradiction Three A4]
-> Easy to find [Contradiction Two A1]
In order for that to make sense, something else needs to happen. I really need to...
-> Go through the co-council conversation [Contradiction Four A3]
-> Think harder [Contradiction One A1]
-> Present more evidence [Contradiction Three A1]
Next item of business, how to decide what the right piece of evidence is. The proper evidence is...
-> Definitely in the Court Record [Contradiction Two A2]
-> Definitely not in the Court Record [Contradiction Three A3]
-> May or may not be in the Court Record [Contradiction One A3]
Q: Contradiction two?
That being so, another issue arises. If the contradiction has that quality, it needs to have another feature:
-> Requires pressing [Contradiction One A3]
-> Requires multiple pieces of evidence [Contradiction Four A2]
-> Requires perception [Contradiction Three A2]
But wait, how certain am I of that?
-> 0-40%, inclusive [Contradiction Four A2]
-> 40-60%, exclusive [Contradiction Four A3]
-> 60-100%, inclusive [Contradiction Three A1]
-> So (un)certain, probability cannot express it [Contradiction Two A3]
Right. How am I going to get around this problem?
-> View the problem from another angle [Contradiction One A4]
-> Keep the current path of inquiry [Contradiction Three A2]
-> Think about how I think about things [Contradiction Four A1]
Present Iris Hawthorne on "Then I saw Mystic Iris dead! Her red hair was on the floor."
Q: Contradiction three?
But I've forgotten something else. This is another big factor:
-> Godot will object to anything I do [Contradiction One A2]
-> I can't make Pearl cry [Contradiction Three A3]
-> The judge hates me [Contradiction Four A1]
-> I'm an idiot [Contradiction Two A3]
Is that really true?
-> True [Contradiction Two A4]
-> False [Contradiction One A3]
-> Lacks a truth value [Contradiction 3A3]
The next step is going to be to...
-> Listen to the testimony again [Contradiction Two A1]
-> Examine the evidence [Contradiction Four A2]
-> Re-read this hint [Contradiction Three A3]
But that assumes...
-> That division by zero is defined [Contradiction Three A2]
-> The domain is all positive numbers [Contradiction Two A2]
-> Enthalpy would never troll you [Contradiction Four A4]
Q: Contradiction four?
How can I change that fact?
-> I can't [Contradiction One A4]
-> The power of love [Contradiction Four A1]
-> The power of despair [Contradiction 3A4]
But that implies...
-> The contradiction exists [Contradiction Three A3]
-> Nothing important [Contradiction Four A1]
When I do that, I've got to be careful to not...
-> Be a foolishly foolish fool [Contradiction Three A3]
-> Become grimdark [Contradiction Two A2]
-> OBJECT! [Contradiction One A3]
-> Get trapped in an infinite loop [Contradiction Four A4]
And lastly, I must never...
WITNESS THREE, TESTIMONY TWO

Q: Help me with the first contradiction, Enthalpy-sama!
It doesn't exist. If you're interested though, I'm just about to talk about some of our decisions in music selection!
Ferdielance decided early on that were not going to use Umineko music, due to overuse. It also helped us (well, mainly Ferdie) find other sources for music!
This segment in particular has a lot of music from Higanbana and Rose Guns Days, two visual novels by 07th Expansion, the producers of Umineko. We purposefully chose them to create an Umineko feel, which goes well with the subject for this particular parody. One other selection comes from movie Sleuth, and some others come from other sources.
My personal favorite tracks for this part are our choices for when Godot submits forged evidence, the cross-examination theme for the previous testimony/cross-examination, and one track you haven't heard yet (I'll tell you when you do)! Credit to Ferdie for picking out all of these wonderful tracks, but most of all, credit to the composers and performers for the respective games!
Q: Help me with the second contradiction, but cut down on the honorifics. Please.
Nope. There's nothing to help with. Now I'll talk about the factors that led to the creation of this case!
I talked to Ferdie one day, asking for his thoughts on the "A Turnabout Diverged" competition, and whether it could possibly produce something that would retain the classic AA character, which I felt had been sorely lacking among AAO games lately, in turn leading to me feeling very disappointed by most new releases.
That began a little project between the two of us to analyze what had happened with the AAO meta. One of the core trends the two of us noticed was a tendency toward what I dubbed "nihilistic crime fiction," AKA grimdark, and "impossible mysteries," by which we meant mysteries that were impossible to solve due to unfairness. Neither of us were too fond of either trend.
So when the time for the new competition came around, we had floated the idea of collaborating, and the concept of a satire for nihilistic crime fiction and impossible mysteries came out. And now you have Phantasmagoria!
Q: Third contradiction...
Just don't read fake clues.
You don't deserve further anecdotes.
Q: Fourth.
Reading fake clues? Rude.
AFTER WITNESS THREE

UNTIL THE LOCKED ROOM SOLUTION

Q: Okay, how do I explain THAT contradiction?
Well, given that only one of the four options makes sense...
...pick the one that makes sense - it wasn't Iris.
Q: How do I prove my crazy theory?
Check out the profiles, if you haven't already.
If you found something in the profiles that looks relevant, try to connect it to the evidence.
Present the Autopsy Report.
Q: What changes if my theory holds?
Well, we're claiming that the victim wasn't Iris. A certain piece of evidence now needs to be re-interpreted.
If the victim was really not Iris, shouldn't testing on certain evidence suggest that it wasn't her?
Present the Shichishichishito.
Q: Okay, so if that person wasn't Iris...
Then it has to be somebody who looks just like her.
I WONDER WHO COULD PASS FOR IRIS'S IDENTICAL TWIN, BUT WITH RED HAIR
Present Dahlia Hawthorne.
Q: But if it wasn't Dahlia either...
Then stop reading fake Invisiclues!
Q: Why did nobody notice the missing year?
If there are unfamiliar words in the Court Record, it might help to look up what they mean.
Hmm... How do you stop a body from decaying?
Present Iris's Room.
Q: Ah. Locked Room. How do explain.
Well, given that only one of the four options makes sense...
...pick the one that makes sense - Iris opened the door.
Q: But how did they move the key?
Strange things happen when you read fake hints.
Q: How many entrances are there?
Did you even look at the Court Record?
Two.
Q: How do you break the window?
With a baseball bat... More seriously, we know because of the sensors that only a human can get in it, but Pearl is the only human small enough.
So, no. Perfect locked window!
Q: How do you break the door?
With a crowbar. But it wasn't opened even once. Hmm...
Nope, you're not getting through here.
Q: How did the killer use the trick with the door?
They were struck with inspiration after they read fake clues.
Q: What's the contradiction?
We just proved nobody but Pearl could enter that room. Is that really true?
Well, I'm pretty sure there's somebody else who had to have entered that room.
We have evidence that somebody was in that room. Otherwise, this trial could never have happened.
Present Iris or Dahlia.
Q: What was this trick in the evidence?
Dahlia is in a room she didn't enter?! How does that work?!? Well, let's think about the meanings of the words involved and see if that tells us anything.
Entering... What is the meaning of entering? Is it possible to be in a room if you never entered it.
Entered means that you changed from outside the room to inside the room. We know Dahlia was inside the room, so there's only one way this isn't contradictory.
If Dahlia was never outside the room, things make sense, but how does that work? It's not as if that building with its security system have been there from forever. There was definitely a time when Dahlia was not inside the room, but is that the same thing as being outside the room?
Is there a way for it to not even make sense to talk about being inside or outside a room? We know that as long as a room exists, you're either in it or out of it, so...
The room didn't always exist. There was no time when the room existed, but Dahlia was outside of it, so...
The trick happened at the creation of the perfect locked room. It was built around Dahlia!
AFTER THE LOCKED ROOM SOLUTION

Q: How do I explain that nobody noticed THAT?
Who should have noticed?
There weren't as many people as you think...
Present the Entire Town's Affidavit.
Q: What established the relative age of the room?
Start out by looking for evidence that pertains to the room. Does anything not make sense if it's an old building?
I doubt the original Japanese had access to exotic building materials.
Present the Blood Pool.
Q: What is the last piece of evidence we need to fix the time down?
Hmm... A piece of evidence that proves there was construction recently.
Check the Court Record carefully.
Present the Bloody Invoice.
Q: Why didn't that person notice?
Think back to Pearl's testimony. If her testimony was true, why wouldn't she notice construction?
Unless Pearl is hiding information, she was only doing one thing that weekend. What shows why she was doing it?
Present the Police Report.
Q: Alright... What piece of evidence reveals the true culprit?!
One that doesn't exist. Stop reading fakes!
Q: Let's do it! The final piece of evidence in Phoenix Wright's coffin! How can Godot prove that he killed Iris, killed Maya, and is P?
YOU CAN'T. YOU'RE CRAZIER THAN PHOENIX IS FOR THIS PART.
Q: What evidence directly contradicts the theory we devised?
Let's assume that construction did happen. Wouldn't another piece of evidence have proof of that?
Look at all the evidence. Yes, every piece of it.
Present the Attorney's Badge

Q: Any general thoughts at the moment?
Remember that song I said was one of my favorites? Wait for the fulness of this realization to hit Phoenix.
To paraphrase Ferdie, nothing encapsulates this case better than Phoenix screams about the sanctity of his badge in the midst of random Italian singing in the background.
Q: How do I prove my case beyond an unreasonable doubt?
Better try everything.
Q: Who can prove that Pearl murdered Iris?
Not a fake Invisiclue for once. Well, Pearl would just lie, so who's the only person who'd know for certain?
Usually, at least two people know who killed a person.
The victim, Iris herself!
Q: What evidence proves that Pearl murdered Iris?
The police report...
...and shichishichishito...
...and autopsy report...
...and entire town's affidavit...
...and bloody invoice...
...and blood pool...
...and perfect locked room...
Spoiler : A8: :
...and Iris's room...
Spoiler : A9: :
...and even the attorney's badge.
Q: So, how do I celebrate Pearl's guilty verdict?
Godot offered free front row tickets to watch at the bear pit. That sounds fun.
Part Three: Finale

Q: Who is P?
Work it by elimination.
First, eliminate anyone without regular access to the legal system.
Then, eliminate anyone who couldn't possibly fit into that robe.
From the remaining people, pick out the one who has a grudge against Mia.
Go on. Give it a try. You can do it!
It's Winston Payne.
Q: Who is the traitor?
It needs to be someone who was with Wright and Co. from the very beginning - even before it was Wright and Co. - and is still there.
None of the people in the Court Record is the traitor.
You need to zoom in on the photo... but it's not anyone obviously visible.
Where did Phoenix Wright find those three bugs earlier...?
The phone... the books... and...
Charley is the traitor. Zoom in on the bottom section of the picture, then click his leaves.
Q: How do I win this duel?
If you fail repeatedly, you can skip, but I don't think that's what you mean.
Take your time. Keep the mouse pointer in between the two options each time, and move to the side when you're sure.
You have two seconds, and the clickable area isn't totally picky - you can be slightly outside the word and still get it.
The final round may still be tricky for slow readers, but recognizing the capitalized words without reading them might help.
Q: How do I break the professor's alibi?
Offer a hint coin to Luke.
When Luke accepts the bribe, the Professor will try to silence him. Move fast.
Call the pigeon to swoop down and grab the sword cane from the professor!
That's not Professor Layton...
It's Don Paolo!
Last edited by Ferdielance on Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"A slow sort of country!" said the Queen. "Now, here, you see, it takes all the running you can do, to keep in the same place. If you want to get somewhere else, you must run at least twice as fast as that!"
Blizdi

Re: [T][CE] Phantasmagoria of Betrayal ●

Post by Blizdi »

Oh my... I almost had a heart attack THREE TIMES during this freaking trial...

I loved it XD
Enthalpy
Community Manager
Spoken languages: English, limited Spanish

Post by Enthalpy »

IMPORTANT NOTICE
There has been a report of a bug in this case that blocks the "go to next part" function from working. There are three parts to this case. If you have encountered a bug that prevents you from going to the next part, please notify myself and Ferdielance so that we can investigate the cause of the bug and get you a link to the next part of the case. Thank you!
[D]isordered speech is not so much injury to the lips that give it forth, as to the disproportion and incoherence of things in themselves, so negligently expressed. ~ Ben Jonson
Bad Player
Spoken languages: American

Post by Bad Player »

Spoiler : :
As DWaM said, good crack.

dat locked room

Who was the one who shot the pigeon, anyway?
Entryhazard
Spoken languages: English, Italian, Spanish

Post by Entryhazard »

I'm just at the beginning, but I felt the need to commend you
I tried to enter AAABAAAJSS as pidgeon's name
Bad Player
Spoken languages: American

Post by Bad Player »

Entryhazard wrote:
That was definitely one of the hardest questions in the game for me.
Blizdi

Post by Blizdi »

You know, I actually wasn't feeling it until I got the the "presents" part of the Prologue, then I knew it was the perfect blend of Dark Humor XD

Dat book name tho!
Ferdielance

Post by Ferdielance »

Thank you all for playing!
Bad Player wrote:
As DWaM said, good crack.

dat locked room

Who was the one who shot the pigeon, anyway?
Spoiler : Identity :
It had to be someone who could have slipped away unnoticed... perhaps while setting up a balloon arrangement behind a boat shack. The shot from the tranquilizer gun could have been disguised as a balloon pop.

P told Gumshoe that the pigeon was carrying dangerous contraband and had to be caught at any cost.
Entryhazard wrote:I'm just at the beginning, but I felt the need to commend you
I knew someone would!
Blizdi wrote:You know, I actually wasn't feeling it until I got the the "presents" part of the Prologue, then I knew it was the perfect blend of Dark Humor XD

Dat book name tho!
All our jokes are 100% tasteful and restrained.
"A slow sort of country!" said the Queen. "Now, here, you see, it takes all the running you can do, to keep in the same place. If you want to get somewhere else, you must run at least twice as fast as that!"
Blizdi

Post by Blizdi »

Can I say something, I just finished it... and... honest opinion...

I had no effing idea what was going on and when it was, either... and I LOVED IT SO MUCH IT MADE NO SENSE BUT IT WAS AWESOME
Gumpei
Spoken languages: English, Al Bhed

Post by Gumpei »

Spoiler : You've made a grave mistake :
Blizdi

Post by Blizdi »

Gumpei wrote:
Spoiler : You've made a grave mistake :
Ooooh my!
Ferdielance

Post by Ferdielance »

It... it was just a friendly greeting?
Sami-Fire

Post by Sami-Fire »

Alright! I'm gonna do a stream-of-conscious comment thing because I feel like it'd be a disservice to just say OMGLOL THIS WAS GREAT 5 STARS MAKE MOAR. Here goes!
Spoiler : Prologue first. Spoilers, inevitably. :
Prologue:

-Pre-loading the preloader?! WHY.
- Oh, hey, I recognize the preloader song! I find it kind of funny, I find it kind of sad- BREAKING GLASS WHAT THE AAAAA
- ...HNGRAAAAAAGH? What are you, a Justice Rider?
- Holy smokes! You used the bottom screen!
- I did Mercy Mode. I'm sorry, I'm a weenie, I know. D: (I used the tutorials too. Beh.)
- ...Blow into the microphone?
- ...I'm going to have to come back and play this with the Greek chorus off just to see how it's different, aren't I...
- YOUR odds to win this comp are dire? Buddy, have you seen- *PUNTED*
- I know the password, so I used it~ Puu buu!
- ...Did you just mine my username somehow or-- Okay, anyway, I want the full experience. Commentary ON! (Ferdie your mushroom is adorabuu.)
- Carmina Burana! I'm gonna let you in on a secret: remember the red-haired Animid in Summon Simulacrum? She's not just named for the color "Carmine," but her name is a reference to that too, if... not a very precise one.
- My Fate roll (...I think that might be a Changeling thing, oops? or some other tabletop game) was Pigeon. I ACCEPT WHOLEHEARTEDLY!
- I do believe I spy an Umineko reference. Golden Witch, eh?
- Franziska plz.
- ...Sorry, I don't got the song title. D:
- DECISIONS?! I CAN'T MAKE DECISIONS OH GOD. Guess I really will have to replay and stuff...
- ONCE AGAIN, FRANZISKA PLZ. I understand you're a merciless broad, but stabbing? Geez.
- Refused a hamburger? Oh no!
- I chose remember. My memory of AA3 is kind of hazy. ...I should mention that this flashback music is actually one of my favorites. Also chose to remember Glen Elg.
- OH MY GOD SINISTAR AAAAA I LITERALLY JUST MADE A BUNCH OF SQUEE NOISES OMG OMG OMGGGGGG *deep breaths* okay. (By the way, I should mention that it is very hard to actually make me verbally squee out loud about something.) Meanwhile I feel like I should know where that laugh comes from but I don't.
- Thinking back to Dahlia. I should really brush up on my pre-AJ stuff...
- I selected "it's both." I guess it makes sense?
- Thinking back to Edgeworth.
- Suspicious butterflies are suspicious.
- My first thought when I saw "sorry about the ships" was, like, relationship-shipping. Oops.
- ...I'm going with no resent. Because that's my gut feeling.
- Thinking back to the picnic.
- Dat fast-forward.
- Oh, it's a loop. Whoops. EMERGE EMERGE EMERGE!
- Going with people change. That is a central theme, after all.
- Dat cake.
- Uh oh. What's missing? I guess I'll try and present... THE BADGE?
- ...Okay badge did nothing. I quit. ;A;
- Going for reasonable and cautious. By the way, I hope you don't mind if I purloin this tactic of the player deciding the narrator's thoughts; I actually have an idea that could go well with it...
- Chose to think about becoming Kurain Master, and to Say It.
- FERDIE NO WHAT DID YOU JUST- I like that fox song sssh oh well
- Nageki Nageki Nageki~ You even used his theme! *w*
- I asked what's wrong. I'll have to check the others later.
- RYOUTA- OH NO NOT THIS MUSIC IT WAS THE REASON RYOUTA'S ROUTE MADE ME CRY (aside from, like, everything else about that part of the route).
- Trauma Center music! And arguably the best one, too! ;w;
- Oh my god, an actual chart for the pigeon. Select and use Antibiotic Gel, then select the cloth/bind the wound... OH MY GOD VULNERABILITY THIS IS THE BEST TRAUMA CENTER SONG EVER AAAAA oh god I was scared I was gonna screw this up aaaaa
- I'm naming the pigeon Ryouta because that is his name.
- Approaching the lady. Chose "Are you sorry." Went with being angry at her mother. I should note that the emotional timbre of the scene makes the transition from comedy to a more mellow tone very smooth.
- That bait-and-switch password is gave me fits.
- Beginning with balloons. THAT NEW MESSAGE OH MY GOD. Cake next. ...Viola plz. MONOBADGER?! Someone is going to pay for this dearly. OH MY GOD THAT BOOK THAT'S HORRIBLE AAAAAA
- Listened quietly. Ooh, Thought Route or whatever it's called! ...Oh my god no. what are you doing. Phoenix. Phoenix stop. STAHP! ...I was gonna pick "Sami weeps" but I'm just gonna say no. ...Ferdie, you are getting hit with the Shame Shovel for this section.
- ...Nope I don't know the pigeon kidnapper. Edgeworth?
- MAGGEY PLZ. ...I feel like I should know where the "associates" are from but I don't.
- SCREAMS THE BEST TRACK FROM AWAKENING OH MY GOD
- ... I leapt in front of the bullet first and then wait WHAT. By the way, on your intro wheel, "Guest Sta" is missing an R.
- ...Why the hell are we in Lithuania? Oh, hey, it's the girl from Curtain that I only know of because I peeked in on Evo's livestream.
- BUGS! ...That "female character" post. Ow? /guilty of suddenly including flirtatious characters oops
- Godot's "..." has a female bleep.
Spoiler : Trial. Spoilers, inevitably. :
- "The desert represents futility." I could swear I've seen this gag before...
- Not the perfect locked room! No! No! NOOOOO!
- Dem parody names.
- I think I know who that cellmate of Godot's is...
- "Hallucinatory Ghost Maya." You are such a card.
- Shichichcjccdacsidh. So many spikes.
- ...Dat autopsy report.
- More Hatoful music... right? No, wait, never mind, the part where the [Spoilers] shows up has a heavier set of playing to it...
- The locked room is secretly a giant Ditto and that's why it keeps changing. /red
- Miles Edgeworth, not guilty of murdering everyone ever. Okedoke.
- ...Hey, wait, I'M the one with the sugary-fairy-land!
- Okay, I'm sorry, but I have to say all the DESPAIR DESPAIR DESPAIR is starting to give me a headache. I think that's what you were going for, though... right?
- Fedoras? I don't get it. Also, Polly's testimony is hard. D:
- I'm not sure I see how some of this fits together, but then again my brain might be working in weird ways (I wanted to use the "Gumshoe likes kids" thing against Pearl being arrested/questioned, but of course there's no way to do that).
- Godot stahp. I wonder how much farther you're going to take this gag...
- Whoa, hey, the Gumshoe likes kids thing was actually useful!
- "For some internet junkies, it's a symbol of death." Indeed.
- Thank god for Mercy Mode.
- OH MY GOD YES WE'RE FINALLY GETTING SOMEWHERE. But for how long...?
- PEARL PLZ. Wait. RED hair?! RED?! REEEEEED?!
- ...Are there drugs in Godot's coffee? Eesh.
- Okay Maya's thing is making me sad sob
- THAT TWIST. THAT REJECTION. OUCH.
- Right. Iris's room was a cryogenic freezer. ...How do you sleep in there? Oh, wait, it never said it was her bedroom.
- Dat urn-smashing.
- Aha! So here's the "YOU VIOLATED THE BADGE!" part! Also, since you used music with vocals in it, I'm going to continue breaking the unspoken rule of "no vocal songs in trials" and include Song Magic in my next trial. Maybe. Hah.
- That baliff sure has been busy.
- PEARL WAS BUSY MURDERING IRIS HAWTHORNE- what.
- What what. what what what.
Spoiler : Finale. :
- No broken glass this time! Wahoo!
- BAM. Got P. Took me a bit though. I was dead sure it was Lana at first. =3= Also, "slight figure" threw me off.
- "Cruel, gruesome, bully-worshipping trials?" Ouch.
- Oh my god. The plant. Yessss. ...We used to have a plant in the Chess and Games meeting room who would regularly be nominated for officer positions. Maybe he knows Charley?
- ...Wait. I thought you said no Umineko music in an invisiclue. I could swear this is 7-weights, an Umineko song...
- Oh god, I actually have to DO STUFF with red and blue truths? I'm gonna die. Whoa, is this a non-spoken Stroop test? Oh god this is a trip. Hah... protip for that last section: try saying the instructions aloud. It helped me process things a bit better.
- ...Charley can't regrow? D:
- I feel like I should know who "Cross" is but I don't. But DAYUM.
- SINISTAR MAKES HIS TRIUMPHANT RETURN YAHOOOOO
- HOLY- BAM!
- OMG RYOUTA YAY GOOD BOY BEST GODOT
Okay. So, now that that's taken care of, a short, general review. Overall, this is superb. The emotional scenes punched me in the feels, and the comedy was hilarious (except for the parts that were the good kind of outrageously awful). There was a gag or two that went on for a bit too long, but I have a feeling that was intentional. I gotta tip my hat (or, in lieu of a hat, my... what's the closest object to me... my puffski?) to you guys. You did something that was technically impressive from a variety of viewpoints. Great work, guys!
Here, there, back again. ahih=makyan;
drvonkitty

Post by drvonkitty »

So, uh... quick question. Is this case supposed to be a tragedy, or is it a comedy? Or is it like a tragicomedy? Because as I play through this, I'm so very, very, very, very, very confused (emphasis on very if you didn't notice).

Gumpei
Spoken languages: English, Al Bhed

Post by Gumpei »

Technically how something is meant to be interpreted in such a manner is subjective it's a parody tho and maybe also a deconstruction so it could go in both directions